[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Steelseries SRW-S1 support?

Steelseries SRW-S1 support?

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

Steelseries SRW-S1 support?

Postby Nic KERS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:27 pm

I realise you can only support controllers which appear as joysticks (supported by the kernel), but I was wondering if anyone could advise how I'd go about getting my SteelSeries SRW-S1 supported.

It's a really good wheel, apart from no force feedback and I've used it a fair bit at SimRaceway and Project CARS, which are both MS Windows programs. My current Win7 install is giving me BSOD and I'd really like to delete it.

With the wheel connected it's mentioned in dmesg output, but doesn't appear as /dev/js0. I can get some output from it with:

# cat /dev/input/event11

Thanks.
Nic KERS

Re: Steelseries SRW-S1 support?

Postby mungewell » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:35 pm

Nothing attached..... but here's some suggestions for you.

1). Do a 'lsusb -vv' to get a full listing of how the kernel sees the wheel.

In Linux wheels are seen as joysticks, a device with axis and buttons, whether they support FF or not. Most of these devices are HID devices and give a descriptor block which explains how the computer how many axis there are and how to extract the values for the axis/buttons. It is possible that the descriptor is 'wrong' and not parsed correctly.

2). Dump the descriptor and check for 'glitches'.

IIRC you can get this directly from '/proc/bus/usb/device/0000.0000/' directory, but I don't have a linux box to hand to check. There are some tools for decoding the data here:

3). You can 'decode' the data coming from the device, once you know how long the report it. For example the following command with dump the stream from a PS3 DualShock, and I can see which bits change when the axis/buttons are moved.
--
# hexdump -v -e '48/1 "%02x " "\n"' < /dev/hidraw1 # For kernels < 2.6.26
# hexdump -v -e '49/1 "%02x " "\n"' < /dev/hidraw1 # For kernels >= 2.6.26
00 00 00 00 00 74 7b 7c 7c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 02 ee 10 00 00 00 00 02 b2 77 01 81 02 05 01 ed 01 a4 00 02
--

The above should give you a good idea how the device sends it's data. I'm guessing that its primary function (the turn the wheel) is really derived from accelometers. The userland Xbox driver has a technique for generating a 'fake' joystick....

It's likely that the advanced functions of the wheel are going to be propriatory, so likely it would need a custom kernel driver.
Simon

PS. wow... I must be really geeky... ;-)
mungewell

Postby Nic KERS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 am

Nic KERS

Postby mungewell » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:58 am

mungewell

Postby mungewell » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mungewell

Postby mungewell » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:05 am

mungewell

Postby Nic KERS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Nic KERS

Postby Nic KERS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Nic KERS

Postby mungewell » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:07 am

Last edited by mungewell on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mungewell

Postby Nic KERS » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:21 am

Really, thanks a lot for this Simon. I'd certainly try a 3.8 kernel, but my arch is wrong. I'm an x86_64:

Linux z68 3.2.0-35-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 5 17:42:16 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I could install a 32bit variant on another partition, or - would a 64bit version be much more trouble? It seems so wrong to ask after you've done so much.

I'm not keen on writing to the device, which I presume would be necessary to get the LEDs working, as I've had to return one which just stopped working altogether. The RMA took a long time to complete. There may be another way I can help with that though. :)
Nic KERS

Next

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help