[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - the art of cheating on oval tracks

the art of cheating on oval tracks

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

the art of cheating on oval tracks

Postby super7 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:10 pm

First things first: this message is supposed to be helpful to the game developers, not to be misinterpreted as deriding their efforts. For casual racers, this cheat might make their day, but it might get old pretty quickly.

Anyway, as I couldn't record my record laps as evidence, you could test this yourselves. This can be done on my ovals (available at ) and on the default speedways as well. A stock car might be a good choice for your vehicle, though it's up to you. I don't know if the input device matters; I only have my keyboard for racing. Simuv2.1 in use, and no hacking or code manipulation involved.

This is how it's done: accelerate as fast as possible and go through the gears and let your car move right along the outside wall, even rubbing against it. That doesn't cause any real damage or slow you down, and that's really essential to those lightning-fast laps. You should be driving by the wall well before turn 1, and there you just keep accelerating with the car rubbing slightly against the wall, and the car hardly loses any speed as it zips through the turns. On straightaways/stretches, try to stay very near the wall too, so the car enters the turn smoothly and won't hit the wall awkwardly and spin or go airborne.

If the above explanation is too confusing, just try it out on a number of ovals (low- and high-banked), and pretty soon you'll get the hang of it. And real-life track records get broken in no time flat (e.g. incredible 16-second laps at ri-speedway, ~20-second laps at arizona, or 46-second laps at im-speedway), and it's not like the track surface settings (at least on my ovals) have been artificially improved.

Of course, I don't know if this is old news and the developers are well aware of this cheat, but at least now it's been exposed. For the sake of realism, that elusive concept in games, maybe this should be tackled at some point.
super7

Re: the art of cheating on oval tracks

Postby Haruna » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:33 pm

This goes as far back as original TORCS. Wolf-Dieter calls this technique 'orbiting'.

For me it's nothing new, I'm just kind of surprised that so few people know about the exploit.
Haruna

Postby mungewell » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:14 am

Maybe we should include some 'traps' along the outer wall to prevent that ;-)
mungewell

Postby kilo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Well, the track should use custom wall surfaces for the outer wall, and there you could define a much higher "dammage", different "rebound" and "friction" attributes.

Oh btw, I hate it we are misspelling "dammage" :)
kilo

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help