[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - [Solved] Unable to get any compatible video mode

[Solved] Unable to get any compatible video mode

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

[Solved] Unable to get any compatible video mode

Postby ggonspeed » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Last edited by ggonspeed on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ggonspeed

Re: Unable to get any compatible video mode

Postby mungewell » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:23 pm

You should check that you have 3D support in the driver you have. Can you post a copy of the '/var/log/X.org' file or the output of 'glxinfo'?

Simon
mungewell

Postby ggonspeed » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:49 am

Hi Simon,
Thanks to your hint I got it working after all, here is the story:

1. glxinfo said that there was no framebuffer bound to several terminals. I googled it up and found out that my laptop has apparently two graphics chips: an i915 and an nvidia chip. The idea is to use the intel chip for normal work and the nvidia chip for heavy 3D operations.

2. the entire linux desktop would freeze sporadically with either the proprietary nvidia driver installed or the open source nouveau driver installed.

3. I removed every nvidia driver and installed bumblebee

4. speeddreams would launch now but parts of the 3D graphics were blank. Disabling texture compression worked and the game runs with 60fps at full resolution.
ggonspeed

Postby mungewell » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Awesome Sauce!!

Glad you got it going....
mungewell

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help