[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - A heart for keyboard drivers

A heart for keyboard drivers

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

A heart for keyboard drivers

Postby ggonspeed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:44 pm

The v2 physics engine was quite hard to play with a keyboard, so I like the v4 much better - the spirit 300 feels more agile and it's possible to drive beautiful (and very fun) drift manoeuvres. I'd still like to ask for a way to soften down keyboard actions, as my understanding is that a key stroke applies the action at 100%. I.e. pressing the key for throttle or break causes the car to accelerate or break at it's maximum. Could it be possible to use a key (i.e. SHIFT) as a modifier that applies the action at only a (configurable?) percentage?

I.e. Arrow Up would be full acceleration while Shift + Arrow Up would accelerate at half the speed. This should also apply to breaking and steering.
ggonspeed

Re: A heart for keyboard drivers

Postby mungewell » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:25 pm

At present the 'input system' only allocates a single key to a function; when it is a key for accelerometer or brake an algorythm is used to apply the action slowly when pressed:

Maybe that can be tweaked a little... my real suggestion would be get a game pad with analogue triggers.
Simon
mungewell

Re: A heart for keyboard drivers

Postby ggonspeed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:20 am

Well, if I have to install extra hardware then I'd prefer a turbo loader for the spirit 300 over a gamepad :-)
I'm mostly playing on a laptop in the train and carrying extra peripherals is a bit of a hassle :-(
ggonspeed

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help