[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - What's the clutch for?

What's the clutch for?

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

What's the clutch for?

Postby ggonspeed » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:09 am

Alright, I know what it does... but where & when would you use it?
ggonspeed

Re: What's the clutch for?

Postby tlow » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:06 pm

I use the clutch when I setup the G27 h-pattern shifter because I can shift faster than with the auto-clutch (right foot braking, no heel-and-toe). A lot of time is gained because you can skip gears on downshifts, allowing for later braking. But I lately drive the GT1 cars more, and I find these cars are more stable under braking with sequential shifting and the auto-clutch. I use left foot braking in this case.

SD does not require you to use the clutch with a h-pattern shifter. This allows you to shift very fast, but you still need to downshift sequentially to avoid spinning, so your braking distance is the same as with auto-clutch.
tlow

Re: What's the clutch for?

Postby ggonspeed » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks a lot, that makes sense. I think I remember that you have quite advanced gear, I just play on a laptop with the keyboard. Yeah I know, it's only half as fun :(
When using the auto transmission, I think there is a tiny benefit when using the clutch instead of a release-press sequence with throttle. I think that releasing and hitting the throttle again doesn't spin up the engine fast enough. We had a discussion about keyboard driving and it was said there that hitting the up arrow (throttle) doesn't translate to an immediate 100% boost but "slowly" (whatever that means in ms) ramps up the throttle. But when using the clutch instead of releasing the throttle (note: I keep the throttle pressed fully together with the clutch) I seem to be able to get out of turns a bit faster
ggonspeed

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help