[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Issues with AMD E2100 APU "kabini"

Issues with AMD E2100 APU "kabini"

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

Issues with AMD E2100 APU "kabini"

Postby HyenaRacer45 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Hello Speed Dreams, I am an amatuer game programmer, (amateur--newbie with most game code but near-expert witht the openGL parts, advanced amateur with simple physics engine coding). Anyway I have been tinkering with TORCS for the last three years and like how Speed Dreams actually has Car spec info listed in game as well as as realtime preview of the car before you race with the whole garage system, to a car person like myself this matters to me. however much as i liked 2.0 the latest update 2.1 r5799 seems to have some nasty bugs with perhaps just the kabini apu by amd (my current laptop)(hewlett-packard). Framerate is choppy and some tracks unplayable mind you this with a stock Xubuntu 14.04 install (dual-boot slid over win8.1 w/bing) I just got the latest ATI Xorg update 7.4.99 git over the stock 14.04 LTS 7.0.1 generic diswplay driver so i will see if that makes some improvement. But also besides the lack luster framerate on my kabini powered laptop also the car category selection is dead
I think in your recent tweaking of the game menu you messed up something with car category selection, i am not yet out of ideas, i am only barely halfway through the hacks i can do to this game easily, to try to ressurect a proper working menu for car category selection as right now as of this posting I can only select the Supercars category, i cannot attempt the special championships for 36GP, LS1-GT1, LS1-GT2, TRB, etc. the car category selection is diabled for some reason but as i said i have still a few hacks that might fix a simple folder reference blunder with the new update, but if I do indeed run out of hacks without fixing the issue could you guys and gals have your programmers look at the issue particular with kabini powered laptops. maybe you find something in the source i cant decompile at the moment to search thru.
HyenaRacer45

Re: Issues with AMD E2100 APU "kabini"

Postby HyenaRacer45 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:07 pm

As an update the car category selection issue is resolved by copying all car folders from usr/share/games/speed-dreams-2/cars (exclduing the categories and models folders) into usr/share/games/speed-dreams-2/cars/models by having them in both locations the menu for car category works again. This was my hunch, a simple folder reference location error easily fixed by copy and paste but you need to sudo your filemanger to do this. For windows users I imagine the operation is similar grant yourself admin privelages to the game folder and copy cars from main cars folder to also be inside of cars/models. Still working on the kabini frsamerate issue the newest drivers only seemed to barely improved anything, still cant use most speedway tracks, manton is the only playabel speedway track, for fellow kabini users i will later post all tracks playable to some degree. and tracks that have less than 4fps on the E2100 APU. Also the update 2.1 r5799 over 2.0 seems to place a ridiculously useless 1.7L of fuel at the start of every race, i will track down the source of this error and post the solution just as i have now done for the car category selection menu being disabled. The fuel bug is my next fix, so stay tuned. No reason you need to pit at the beginning of every race to get enough fuel to actually race or your a dead duck with car floating up and being dropped by an invisible crane into the fan bleechers.
Also tackling the custom car (no preview image, preview image isnt loaded) issue i have with my modified cars based on a renamed copy of another car recategorized and heavily performance modified. Also I am the person to ask if you would like real race cars, ones with 7.6L V12s and such with over 850bhp (1310Nm of torque which is about 965 ft-lbs of torque) I love making those kinds of cars for torcs and Speed Dreams)
HyenaRacer45

Postby tlow » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:09 am

To get best performance from "Kabini" APU requires lastest kernel (drm-next branch), Mesa git-master, and Radeon DDX git-master. Of course, you get all the bleeding edge bugs too. :) Some of these may be available as PPAs or whatever they are called. It sounds like you have the latest DDX but it doesn't do the 3D graphics so it won't change performance by itself. Another option is the AMD Catalyst closed source blob. This will give best performance but brings different problems. Pick your poison.

Did you install 2.1 over an existing 2.0 installation? I don't know if this is supported. From which package did you install? It may be a packaging bug.

Which cars have the low fuel problem? Start fuel is hard coded in the XML files so 1.7l is a strange number. An easy work around is to add the fuel to $HOME/.speed-dreams-2/drivers/human/car.xml, or in $HOME/.speed-dreams-2/drivers/human/cars/<car>/default.xml (which you have create).
tlow

Postby HyenaRacer45 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:02 am

Thanks TLOW for your response but yes i do have the latest drivers for my radeon as per available the canocal repos, partner repos and webupd8, in open arena i get 49-67fps 800x600 versus 12-31 in torcs and 5-21 in speed dreams except the pretty tracks which are 1.3-7.5 fps. The Catalyst sources are no good breaks too many system packages dealing with make gcc linux-headers alsa pulseaudio etc. or the older catalyst says not all dependecies can be resolved and aborts installation promptly. Windows specs on my machine (since its a dualboot) says below average performance for comparable kabini powered laptops also processor id neglects to state "Authethentic AMD" but says instead "amd compatible chipset" or something like that, perhaps this walmart machine is a clever clone, not the real deal. Also noticed when probing architecture in windows it lists as K11-K12 family compatible where two years ago an AMD APU in another laptop was K14 architecture so have they gone backwards or more proof its a clone not a real hewlett-packard amd apu system. This would not surprise me if it were the case as walmart IMHO has been shady with their chinese suppliers lately (past 26months). It reminds me of when three years ago a friend bought a samsung clone from ebay only to get skunked with a single core Cortex A7 at 700Mhz running gingerbread rather than the dual core S3 it was stated as. (Labled a factory misprint on the battery compartment silk screening even had pictures showing an galaxy S3 with smeared ink for the samsung logo and the battery compartment showing the mistyped miniSTM slot instead of miniSIM slot, but this was not what arrived in the box.) Point is china is well known for screwing over american customers and since no one "adequately" polices private business these things happen too often.
At this point I have decided to return to building my own desktops and until i am able to print my own laptop mainboard i will just stay away from laptops, period. But thanks for replying. I may end up pulling this thread down due to the futility of dealing with chinese made products since no one can buy american manufactured laptops these days and i know of no such company to custom spec a laptop at a reasonable price similar to desktop design. Dell has some options but not much and not worth the custom price tag. IMO.
HyenaRacer45

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help