[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - SD2 on linux doesn't seems to use graphic card power

SD2 on linux doesn't seems to use graphic card power

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

SD2 on linux doesn't seems to use graphic card power

Postby elekaj34 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Hello everybody

I'va a PC powered by an Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2,8GHz) and 8 Gb of RAM and with runs Debian Linux. The graphic card is an AMD Radeon HD 6950 and all the drivers are correctly installed. Other games runs fine with this card.

I've installed Speed dreams 2 and with many cars on the tracks, the game is slow ... very slow ... less than 15fps and rarely over 20fps (with few cars on track).
How can I tell to SD2 to use the power of my graphic card ?

Sorry for my poor english :(
elekaj34

Re: SD2 on linux doesn't seems to use graphic card power

Postby tlow » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Try enabling threading and reducing the number of smokes and skids to a very low number (4 works for me). This improved performace for me on similar harware, but I am still limited to about 6 cars per race, and some tracks (like Forza) are still unplayable. Another option is to disable the sky dome (set distance to zero). SD will look like TORCS but the rendering performance is better.
tlow

Postby elekaj34 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:09 am

It's very very better like that. In qualifying (only me on track) I can have up to 50fps and 20 fps with 10 cars on tracks.
But forza is just unplayable for me ... even if I'm alone on the track.
elekaj34

Postby HyenaRacer45 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:14 am

Another hack you can do to improve performance is using sudo (nautilus or thunar or whatever u have)
go into the sd folder and under the sub folder called config should see an xml file called graph.xml
i set the following values

<params name="graph" type="param" mode="mw" version="1.14">
<section name="Graphic">
<attnum name="smoke value" val="200"/>
<attnum name="smoke interval" val="0.01"/>
<attnum name="smoke duration" val="1.5"/>

<attnum name="skid value" val="20"/>
<attnum name="skid length" val="210"/>
<attnum name="skid interval" val="0.05"/>

<attnum name="fov factor" unit="%" val="94"/>
<attnum name="LOD Factor" val="2"/>
<attnum name="sky dome distance" val="20000"/>
<attstr name="dynamic sky dome" val="disabled"/>
<attnum name="precipitation density" unit="%" val="20"/>
<attnum name="cloudlayer" val="0"/>
<attstr name="background skydome" val="disabled"/>
<attstr name="background type" val="background"/>
<attnum name="visibility" val="4000"/>
<attstr name="spectator LOD" val="none"/>
<attstr name="forest LOD" val="none"/>
<attstr name="tree LOD" val="none"/>
<attstr name="parking LOD" val="none"/>
<attstr name="span splits" val="no"/>
<attnum name="bezel compensation" unit="%" val="110"/>
<attnum name="screen distance" val="1.0"/>
<attnum name="arc ratio" val="1.0"/>
<attstr name="monitor type" val="none"/>
<attstr name="shadow type" val="none"/>
<attnum name="texture shadow size" val="1024"/>
<attstr name="texture environment" val="full"/>
<attnum name="environment size" val="256"/>
</section>

that took my amd e-2100 from 3-9fps to 12-23fps on simple tracks, I get 17-25fps on torcs tracks seeded into sd tracks by copying the oval folder from torcs into sd.

Also i found that enabling multithreading in the game menu did squat but again editing raceengine.xml in the config folder with
<section name="Race Engine">
<attstr name="multi-threading" in="auto,on,off" val="on"/>
<attstr name="thread affinity" in="on,off" val="off"/>
</section>
as the game sets this to auto or off in my experiences. never fully on.

<section name="OpenGL Selected Features">
<attstr name="texture compression" val="enabled"/>
<attnum name="max texture size" val="1024"/>
<attstr name="multi-texturing" val="enabled"/>
<attstr name="multi-sampling" val="enabled"/>
<attstr name="multi-sampling samples" val="4"/>
<attstr name="stereo-vision" val="disabled"/>
<attstr name="bump mapping" val="disabled"/>
<attnum name="anisotropic filtering" val="2"/>
</section>

and

<attnum name="window width" val="1024"/>
<attnum name="window height" val="600"/>
<attnum name="bpp" val="16"/>

in screen.xml also in config folder
HyenaRacer45

Postby HyenaRacer45 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:31 am

The programmers are working on a solution to massively overhaul the terribly inefficient openGL engine currently used for the game as it is now. I think the best way would to use ioquake3 significantly modified as the render engine for a compatibility mode for older machines or netbooks (as netbooks are generally very weak graphically). Now instead of light points we could use emissive lightmaps from the brake light texture. PLus have a basic pale grey texture of the car then multitexture with the decals and/or paint scheme, even decals could be applied much like the new 3d nitronation for android using this render system, I am already considering putting forth the effort to make such a project, as well as switch the car meshes to a natively blender friendly format. No more AC3D issues, I am thinking of PLY, maybe LWO, or even MS3D (milkshape). That will be the new format with either simple wheels like now or full meshed wheels (no texture but shader surface) at the players option. Also fix the Datasheet area up a little to include OHV, SOHC,DOHC, 48valve 60valve, 72valve etc type of descriptions to the engine type. And capitalize the "l" as "L" or even used the british "Litre" for engine size unless defined as cc in the xml then cc or ci can be displayed also all forms cc, cid, Litre may be used by cummulitivly stating engine size as capacity=7.1 unit=L .... capacity=7106 unit=cc .... capacity=432 unit=cid
so that it shows "432cid V12 7106cc 7.1Litre V12" and below would be" 60valve SOHC design". That is a preview of the project I am strongly considering as a morphology of Speed Dreams. Many more new features are also planned
HyenaRacer45

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help