[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - benchmarking mode?

benchmarking mode?

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

benchmarking mode?

Postby bwidawsk » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi. I am a developer working on the Linux Intel GL driver. We often get bug reports for both performance and crashes on TORCS. I really wanted to add this test to some of my performance regression testing but that requires an automated way to run the test. (I picked speed-dreams over TORCS because the project seems better maintained).

If at all feasible, I am looking for the minimal possible reproducible setup. I need to be able to set the resolution, and get an FPS from the command line, ideally in a short amount of time. Is this functionality possible? I saw something about this in a TODO.txt somewhere. Ideally someone has something self-contained which I can just copy.

Thanks for any help.
bwidawsk

Re: benchmarking mode?

Postby madbad » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi bwidawsk and wellcome to the SD comunity.
First thing, as a Linux entusiast (but... ehm... nVidia user), thank you for working on the Intel open source GL drivers: you Intel guys are doing a good job for the linux eco-system.

A couple of thougt:
1) Speed-Dreams != TORCS
Speed Dreams even if is a TORCS forc has alredy gone in some different direction.
On the graphics side as an example, SD is working on changing its current graphic module from SSG (the plib based renderer used by TORCS too) to a new work in progress OSG module (based on OpenSceneGraph)
So I'm not sure how crash reported for TORCS may apply to SD and vice-versa

2) From what I understand you want to use SD as openGL benckmark.
I assume you are more interested on the graphic performance than on the SD overall performance (that is influenced by other factors as physic calculation, AI bot, etc).
There is a work in progress on "replay" functionality, so you can record a race and replay it from the recorded data (this should avoid performance interference from CPU activity... phisics, AI, etc)
I'm not sure if there is already a way to start SD from command line and run directly the replay
Link to the replay ticket: http://sourceforge.net/p/speed-dreams/tickets/692/

Once you have done that, extracting the FPS of the rendered should not be hard to do.

I'm not the most experienced dev here but hope I've been of some help.
Cheers Madbad
madbad

Postby bwidawsk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:43 pm

bwidawsk

Postby madbad » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:36 pm

I've done some initial research on our code-base and opened a ticket about adding a benchmark mode for SD
https://sourceforge.net/p/speed-dreams/tickets/920/
madbad

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help