[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - User Manual

User Manual

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

User Manual

Postby warhansen » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:25 pm

Ok,

For you who are not going to read further... "Where can I find a user Manual?"

The above question is what is starting this verbal diarrhoea.

So this post is going to be a bit opinionated. However let me begin with my main concerns. I am venting here but this is has been my concern many times so here it goes.

The reason so many Open Source projects don't gain popularity is because:
1.) Getting anything done usually starts with a lengthy google or just seems impossible (rocket science) - please create a user manual for the basics with a list of features currently been worked on... IN ONCE PLACE.
2.) Often the guys are writing a project for such an elite few that to expect many users to use it is unimaginable
3.) Not all users using open source projects are software devs!

My example. I recently installed Speed Dreams 2.1 on my linux pc. Well done , 5 stars, installing was a breeze. Click on the "Download here" for debian based and installed without any hassle. Wow I thought, maybe faith has been restored...

Ooops, faith takes a nose-dive. I try to find out how to add AI. One quote says: "blah blah blah, or write your own, see example here...". Seriously? Is that why I am downloading software, to write my own... mmmm.

However, when one drives into a barrier and you don't loose any speed... Isn't that something someone has thought of in the course of the years of this project. I remember my first sega console. And I remember blowing up when hitting the crash barrier. How can a project in the 21st century still claim "this has come over from the original TORCS"

However, one thing I hate is people who moan about things and don't do anything about it. So... I am planning on writing a manual. Or at the very least contributing on the wiki, screenshots and the like! Contrary to what you might be thinking I really like this project. I think there is some real potential. And I suppose its easy for me 'cause I fire up the game and say "blah blah blah blah" when changing features takes days if not months. :oops:

So I will try to make a difference.

PS, Will start making a difference here: why is there no: "Contribute here" icon. Paypal, bitcoin etc? Could even help one or 2 devs to work on this full-time!

Thank you and sorry for moaning and groaning.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ubuntu 14.04, Logitech Wingman Formula Force
Reading may seriously damage your ignorance
warhansen

Re: User Manual

Postby simon-2 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:00 pm

my thoughts exactly...

i think, the most laborious part would be to collect and organise/structure what is already available...

we have a wiki, two mailing-lists, a website, this forum, comments in the sourcecode and even some stuff that is originally associated with TORCS :roll: but nothing "central" that is structured and complete...

so if you start writing a documentation, you should consider some aspects:

-discuss and agree with the devs!! (in my experience, mailing list is a better way to adress them)
-convince the devs of documenting changes on-the-fly :lol:
-choose a system that:
- -allows easy contributions by other users / devs
- -helps structuring and indexing
- -(can distinguish between different release versions?)

else it might end up as an abandoned .doc-file somewhere on the net..

Also, i think SD could need some more publicity; maybe a compelling image vid on youtube, a facebook page to catch likes and so on...
simon-2

Postby warhansen » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:11 am

Hi,

You make some good suggestions. I was thinking maybe working on the Wiki, opening it up. Will just take a lot to moderate when everybody contributes, and of course a person would like to set up a fixed structure.

Will also start working on some stuff for the publicity you mentioned and see what I can do. I am sure some users out there are way better with some stuff like this than I am, however if we can get everything in one place and say: "hey users, we need the following: x,y and z, who could assist" I am sure we can get awesome things going.

Once people are more aware online competitions etc can be made into a "hype".
Ubuntu 14.04, Logitech Wingman Formula Force
Reading may seriously damage your ignorance
warhansen

Postby MiniJoe » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:10 am

Here is a discussion about the User Manual:

There are also some newer and very good tutorials on Youtube.

Tip: When browsing the wiki, clicking on the search icon (farthest right icon), brings up the left menu.
Browse Pages button displays a nice index.
MiniJoe

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help