[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - READ: GUIDE TO SETTING UP SD IN-GAME (WIP)

READ: GUIDE TO SETTING UP SD IN-GAME (WIP)

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

READ: GUIDE TO SETTING UP SD IN-GAME (WIP)

Postby Haruna » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:11 am

Lots of people complain that they don't know how to change cars, or how to set up their own control scheme because the default one sucks ass.

This guide is a very blunt, straightforward, rude, and snarky guide on how set up the numerous settings in Speed Dreams.

Note that this guide only deals with setting up user settings through the in-game menus.

#1. Where do I go race?
Click on the text that says "Race". From there, you can set up your own races, which will be explained in other questions.

#2. How do I setup my controls?
1. Click on "Configure Players".
2. This will take you to the menu where all the player profiles can be renamed, but below the list of players is a button called "Controls".
3. Click on "Controls", and you will be taken to a screen where you can assign your controls.
4. If you have analog controls (steering wheel, pedals, analog sticks on controllers, etc.), another menu button will appear. It is called "Calibrate".
5. If you don't have any analog controls (poor you!), you can simply leave the screen by clicking "Save". If not, question 3 will help you.

#3. How do I calibrate my controller?
1. When you were in the "Controls" menu and you assigned an analog control (referred to as an "AXIS" in-game), a button called "Calibrate" appeared. You need to click this button to start calibration.
2. Follow the instructions on the bottom ticker.
3. When finished, click "Done". If you were not satisfied with the calibration, you can press the reset button to do it all over again.
4. Your controls are now all set. Now you can go racing...?

#4. How do I change what car I'm using?
1. Go to any of the race modes. They all have a "Configure" button which takes you to a menu where you can change the track, the car you're driving and the rivals you'll race against, plus parameters for race distance (either in laps or kilometers).
2. Pick a track.
3. Select your name in the "Competitors List". Note that you need to be in the competitors list BEFORE you can change cars!
4. Go to "Change Car".
5. Go find a car you might like by pressing the arrows. You can change the car livery, model, or even entire car classes.
6. When you find a car you want to use, press "Apply".
7. Press "Next" until you've returned to the race menu.

#5. How do I start a race?
1. Press "Start", dumbass.
2. Wait in the loading screen.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

#6. WTF I'M SPINNING EVERYWHERE.
There are several causes as to why you might be spinning:
1. You're on the dirt/grass/sand. Stop flooring it when you don't have any traction, dumbass.
2. You applied throttle on a steep uphill section of track.
3. You turned off TCS. By default it is already on, so if you assigned a control to turn it off, turn it back on, dumbass.
4. A wild AI car has used "Tackle" on your car! It's super effective! Your car has feinted...
5. You slammed the brakes on in a car that's really rear-heavy. Learn to brake in a straight line, dumbass.
6. You put on the throttle too early on corner exit in a powerful GT or 36GP car. Slicks are very slick, dumbass.

#7. Are there any incentives to win?
No. Go and have fun.

#8. The AI kick my ass so bad! Can't they be slowed down a bit?
1. Options
2. AI Opponents
3. Set from 'Pro' to 'Rookie'
4. Kick AI driver(s) ass(es)
5. ???
6. VICTORY!

#9. These long race weekends in Championship mode suck! Can't we save mid-race or something?
No. We think this sucks too, though.

...to be completed.
Haruna

Re: READ: GUIDE TO SETTING UP SD IN-GAME (WIP)

Postby mungewell » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:54 pm

I'll add a little more the 'controls and calibration' stuff since I've been messing with that code....

SD2.0 has the concept of KEYS, MOUSE Movement & buttons, and Joytstick AXIS, BUTTONS, ATOB (more on that later). When you want to configure you need to click on the control you want to adjust and then move/press/click the appropriate device axis/button.

As some joysticks/game pads have pressure sensitive buttons the system can see both an axis and a button being 'moved' at the same time when you do your thing. It tries to be smart and pick the appropriate one (ie. axis for a 'throttle', or button for 'lights'), however if you do the selection again it will toggle to the 'wrong' on.... if you really want to do it that way.

Note: With pressure sensitive buttons the calibration system needs to know which button when it is trying to calibrate an axis (as you are trying to set the limit of the axis, but also pressing a button at the same time). The system remembers which axis has a button associated with it (and thus to ignore), but _ONLY_ during the same configuration session. If you are seeing a problem like this, then reselect/re-specify the control and then calibrate again.

With 'ATOB' (Axis to button) SD2.0 tries to use an axis for an on/off type control. To do this SD2.0 must work out the threshold at which to apply/ignore the control. This requires an addition configuration step, if this is required the calibration page will show a 'NEXT' button after you do the throttle/brake/etc.

Same basic idea as before; click a button (preferably one which doesn't have an 'ATOB' associated with it) with nothing pressed to set a 'NULL' reading, then apply the appropriate controls as instructed clicking a button after each one. The system will then compute the thresholds on the axis where it should apply the controls.

For example you might have "|-left-glance-|----NULL----|-right-glance-|" across a thumbstick X axis.

Note: The is only one 'NULL' position on a single axis so trying to get too complicated might cause problems.

Note: D-Pads are traditionally screwed up between Linux (2D axis) and Windows (Rotary position), so don't be surprised if they give you problems.

Also 'we' should note/describe what the 'sensitivity', 'dead-zone', etc actually do.... I don't think that they are very logical.
mungewell

Re: READ: GUIDE TO SETTING UP SD IN-GAME (WIP)

Postby WingCommander » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Funny stuff - Haruna :lol:

Thanx - Mungewell

Might I add: Under #6 - If you are spinning everywhere, make sure you are using Simuv2! (options > simulation) I have found simuv3 to be VERY challenging!
WingCommander

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help