[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - W-E-C's car thread

W-E-C's car thread

Discuss or share your car-related work here

Moderator: kilo

Re: W-E-C's car thread

Postby Radoye1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:36 pm

I like the new models (hope the texture mapping is not too different than the original model so my work doesn't go to waste).

Speaking of setups, the current W-E-C car as-is has the wrong engine. It is using the ChampCar 2.6 l V8 turbo engine instead of the normally aspirated 3.5 l V8 IndyCar unit. The correct engine should be rev limited to 10300 rpm, and also have a 6-speed gearbox (currently it has 7). In its current guise the car is too fast - it is doing 37.5 seconds around the Milky - the pole time in 2011 was 38.5, but the performance should actually be nearer to 40 s flat.
Radoye1

Postby jjsca » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:18 pm

jjsca

Postby Radoye1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 pm

I use Gimp.

I can help somewhat with identifying the parts, it took me a while to figure out what is what.
Radoye1

Postby Radoye1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Punter Racing is ready for download. You can see the #4 car preview on the previous page, here's #44:

mpa10-Punter-44-preview.jpg

And the files are here:

mpa10-PunterRacing.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Radoye1

Postby Haruna » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:09 am

Haruna

Postby jjsca » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:47 am

Hi Haruna thank you for your hint I didn't notice the changing wings. It is cool to have this feature, it solves the issue for the graphics in a clear way. Now I saw that there was some atempt to change the physics also but I don't get how it is done. Here is the xml bloc:

from line 211 to 254

but I only see the flat profile where are the others ? What I also wonder about is how the actual physics are calculated with the infos there. What also makes me wonder is that with the 2 kits draft changes as front surface and cx changes but I don't see these params change in the xml. I know that these params change with wing angles but I still wonder how it is implemented. My point is how do we tell SD that an indycar can make 225mph with oval kit and can't with road kit and the other way around that the oval kit is undrivable on road courses.

All these questions bring me to another topic. Are editable and user defined setups for cars planned in SD development ? And what about tire types ?

It would make stuff more interesting. I did give it a thought sometime ago and had an idea how things could be implemented:
- Define the car and tire available in the category file.
- Define the tire general infos in a specific tire xml file (for indycars, tire-blacks.xml, tire-red.xml, tire-wet.xml, for example)
- Define for each car a carName-physics.xml wich contains all the fixed values and the possible ranges for the editable values.
- Define for each car a carName-default-setup.xml with only the edtibale values set to default.
- And then allow the user to modify the editable values and create their own setup files setupName.xml in the car directory in the preference directory of SD.
- At the start of a race or driving seesion an interface let's one choose tyres, fuel quantity and setup.
- And finally in the far future have a pit interface from where fuel setups and tyre types can be edited created (like rfactor and gtr2)

I guess it is not very difficult to code this, one just needs to edit the loading code to allow it to find the right infos and pass it to the physics engine. Now of course it needs and interface to choose the setup and to create them.
jjsca

Postby madbad » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:17 pm

madbad

Postby jjsca » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi everyone. I have been working on the map model tody and have finished modelling uv unwrapping and baking the two kits. I have also been experimenting around with 3d modeled wheels, which I know works from earlier experiments but I got a problem which I can not solve. I get massive exagerated specular reflections which make the top of the wheels appear white at daytime and completely black wheels at night. I tried to lower shinyness parameter in .ac files but no way to get things to change.

Here is what I did, I modelled and textured the wheels in blender/ac3d and then save .ac file. I then change extension to .acc munually and copied and edited the file names to get wheelf0.acc to wheelr3.acc and copied the .acc and png files into the sd cars directory. Here are a few images:

The ac3d viewport:
Wheel-ac3d.jpg
Ingame at daytime:
sd-20150103183445.png
sd-20150103183515.png
Ingame at nighttime:
sd-20150103183750.png

I have no idea how to fix this issue, any help is welcome. I haven't tried to compile the .ac files for the simple reason that I don't want tyres to reflect.

I will do three tyre textures the tyrestone redhawk, which are on the screenshots, the tyrestone blackhawk and the tyrestone speedhawk (for ovals). Concerning the car Uv's I will finish the steering wheel and interior and then post a showcase .png livery to help people figure out where stuff is, the Uv's for both kits as well as the baked images.

Here is a preview with one the liveries by Radoye. Sorry for the changes, but I think it will open more possibilities to texture artists, because now every winglet and mirror can be textured from all sides, even the edges can be different color.
Car-preview.png

Have a nice day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjsca

Postby Tom_D3 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Wow, looks great with the 3D wheels: way more realistic, great work :D
Tom_D3

Postby Radoye1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:18 am

OK it's not too bad, i can get that fixed fairly quickly, at the first glance the difference seem to be mainly with the wings. The model looks good!

Now what we need is to address the performance issue, to give it the correct engine & gearbox combo. Hopefully if will still work with the current AI robots.

Any idea how to make a rolling start for a race? I have created a 500-miler MPA1 class single race which works perfect with the Milky track but the standing start kinda takes away from the immersion.

I also have a (IMHO) better MPA1 Championship but it has the same problem. I will share both once this has been resolved.
Radoye1

PreviousNext

Return to SD Cars