[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - How to make cars work in Speed Dreams?

How to make cars work in Speed Dreams?

Discuss or share your car-related work here

Moderator: kilo

How to make cars work in Speed Dreams?

Postby Anubisone » Sat May 11, 2013 2:49 pm

I wonder. I copied directories with cars inside SD from here and it doesn't work at all. There are no additional cars inside the menu of SD. Why?
Anubisone

Re: How to make cars work in Speed Dreams?

Postby Leopjing » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:53 am

Have you copied the categorys of these cars in SD too?
Leopjing

Postby chad3006 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:41 pm

There was a thread already started about this, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Here's a link to a specific car, but maybe it''ll help. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202&start=30 - post number 4 on that page.
chad3006

Postby HansonGeorge » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:57 am

Hey,I too want to work cars but not getting how?So can you give me any guideline that can help me if you have.
HansonGeorge

Postby jjsca » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Hello speed dreams community I discovered speed dreams a couple of weeks ago and really liked it.

I too would like to help and create cars. I have been reworking the taipan lstr (my favourite car)to make it a bit more detailed (on blender) now I think I am getting to the end of the modelling process but I got quite a heavy model (13 000 polys and the roll cage isn't started yet :oops: ). I ll post a few shots when it is optimised and roughly textured.

I would like to know if there is a poly limit for car models to make it run decently ?

I also have been experiencing a strange issue, when I export the .blend to .ac, all shaders disapear, only the defaul blender shader remains is it a known issue, is there a special exporter that could solve that problem ?

I noticed that in the game the entire car has the same shader (reflective), but a reflective dashboard isnt very convincing is it possible to use more than one shader in the game (I thought of 3 or 4 different ones to make some things a little more realistic) ?

I also read that there are changes going on concerning the graphics engine, is that true ? Does it imply changes in car models ? And is there a test build already ?

I would like to thank the devs and artists which worked on speed dreams, you've made a great job so far, I was really impressed of the physics when I drove with a wheel (even though tire model is a bit weird sometimes).

Have a nice day

J.J.

OFF TOPIC: After an hour of hard fight with the calibration it can be reported that Speed dreams is compatible with the Driving force EX form Logitech
CONFIG: Win 7 64 bit /// Speed dreams 2.0 /// Hadware: pretty low
jjsca

Postby chad3006 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:05 pm

I don't know if there is a specific poly limit for SD cars, but I noticed that most cars fall somewhere in between 3500 and 5000 triangles. A few formula one cars approach 10,000. Of course, the more cars that are fielded at one time, the more of an issue it'll be. I'm not very familiar with Blender, so I can't help with that issue, nor have I discovered the trick with reflective vs. dull shaders.
chad3006

Postby torcs-ng » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi jjsca,

To my knowledge, there is no limit on SD polygons, but there will be more polygons graphics performance will go down (especially on PLIB/SSGGRAPH).

For exporting ac file it's normal that shader desappear, it's why Torcs project had created 'acc' format for managed envmap, shadowmap, etc ...
'AC' file containt just light, material and one texture by mesh.

For shader on dashboard, I agrea with this, it's not realist, I'm working on this - possibility ... created body car in 'acc' format and create cockpit in 'ac' file ... my code can managed this in local computer (not in SVN) but for the moment there is no real separate cockpit prepared by designers ... GTR2 cockpit style or another games style we would greatly improve SD.

YEP ! I confirm that we're working on another graphic engine, managed by OpenSceneGraph (OSG) but for the moment this work is just started.
You can launch SD with this engine by building SD with OPTION_OSG enable and replace in raceengine.xml ssggraph by osggraph in directory settings.
This work, work better on Linux than Windows for the moment.

For the moment, nothing has been decided on a change of 3D models, I made some tests with forza-osg (model in osg format and textures in dds format).

Cheers
Xavier
torcs-ng

Postby jjsca » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi Xavier

Sorry for my late reply but I am quite buzzy right now. I understand now why I can't export the textures of my reworked taipan. Is there a ".acc" exporter for blender 2.6 (I'm using 2.67b right now) ? or for a previous version of blender because I couldn't find anything on the internet.

For the interior I haven't finished it and it still lacks textures (for the above reasons) but I got a 3D model wich could be used to test your code with a separate interior but is it a good idea to use .ac files as they don't support textures ???

Here's the link to my taipan with interior:

It is cool that you consider migrating to another graphical engine because the present one needs heavy optimisation (can't run Forza track because I get only 9fps in single pratice mode). Lately I got GTR2 and I can run it at max graphical settings and 35 cars (20'000+ polys as I read somewhere) and it is fine and smooth. I just wonder why speed dreams struggles so much even in practice mode as it doesn't seem to be my hardware.

Is OSG better than PLIB at handling high polys (let's say 15'000 or 20'000) ? It is just to know if it is worth to work on higher detailed cars for speed dreams.

Last questions: Are there any screens of the new OSG graphics ? I'm eager to look at what it looks likes :D

Thanks for the detailed answer and have a nice evening.

J.J.

CONFIG: Win 7 64 bit /// Speed dreams 2.0 /// Hadware: pretty low
jjsca

Postby chad3006 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:58 pm

This link from TORCS might help:

chad3006

Return to SD Cars