[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Rework of the taipan lts-r

Rework of the taipan lts-r

Discuss or share your car-related work here

Moderator: kilo

Rework of the taipan lts-r

Postby jjsca » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Hello speed dreams community I am a hobby 3d modeler and racing game player. I ve steped across Speed dreams a few weeks ago and really liked it. I just found that in speed dreams 2 some cars are a bit less detailed than they deserved, certainly for performance reasons i suppose. As one of these cars is one of my all times favourite I decided to have a go and rework it. Here I am now with a new model for the taipan lts-r more detailed and with twice as much polys (12'00 without the wheels) in it but i like it. Here are snapshots of what i achieved so far:

Note these wheels were downloaded on the google 3d wharehouse and so are too heavy to be used in speed dreams.

This model is still a work in progress but it starts to remind me of the original taipan lts-r. I still need to add the rollcage (which will cost quite a few polys on this car). The texturing is not finished and not great (but it is only my second serious UV mapping and I based it on the tutorial made for torcs). The wheels are only there to make it nicer and to see how it would look like with 3d wheels (which I think would add a lot more realism to speed dreams).

I already asked for that in another topic but will the new graphics engine be able to handle multiple shaders for the same model ??? It would certainly add realism and maybe free a bit of performance (with less reflections to compute).

I am using blender 2.6 (because of multiple reasons, the main ones are: powerful knife tool, powerful UV mapping and it is free) and I think support for blender 2.6 should be better (no .acc exporter and missing documentation). I don't just say that because I am a regular blender user, but rather because blender has become a very powerful modeler and with the new tools in the 2.6 versions models of high quality could be achieved quite quickly. And the most important aspect to me: If there is a way to create mods easily using totally free means it might motivate people to work on mods.

Anyway I hope you like the model and feel free to comment and make suggestions.

Have a nice evening !!!

JJ
jjsca

Re: Rework of the taipan lts-r

Postby Haruna » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:21 am

Holy Yuyuko Saigyouji, that is a sweet rework of the Taipan!

Unfortunately, as it stands, the graphics engine in SD doesn't use multiple shaders for the same model, however, it does allow for multiple materials.

12 thousand polygons is rather high compared to the rest of the SD line-up though. SSG-graph is pure crap with dealing with very high polygon models, so there would need to be multiple LOD (level of detail) models for this rework.

At least for the GT cars we have, 3D wheels would be a massive visual enhancement for relatively little work; a lot of GT cars use similar or exactly the same types of wheels.
Haruna

Postby jjsca » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Thank you for your answer haruna. I've been working working quite a long time on this one but I still can't get textures on it, mainly to get the interior look decent but It just denys everything. I tried with the scripts for blender 2.4 the exported files are broken. Long story short I got fed up with trying things wich don't work and I integrated the car using the .ac file with basic and ugly shaders. I reused the wheels of the vulture v6-r as the are similar to the wheel the taipan used in racing. Here is a copy of the car. Happy testing and feel free to give feedback or modify it and/or share mistakes or references ;)

Category: LS1
Based on: 1998 Chrysler Viper GTS-R

Horse Power: 648 H.P.
Max Torque: 815 Nm @ 4200 rpm
Weight: 1150 Kg
Weight on Front: 50%
Drivetrain: RWD

Have a nice evening

J.J.

P.S. The car is still a work in progress and is relatively heavy be sure to have a good enough config to test it in 1920 x 1080 or higher resolution !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjsca

Postby jjsca » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Hello everyone I am still trying to get this rework finished and I am still struggling with the texturing (rather to make speed dreams know wich texture to use and how to apply it). I got myself a copy of blender 2.48 and the .acc export scripts (from there: ). I got the 3d model ready and a texture (not the final one but I'd like to test it before). But the result in Speed dreams is simple, the model loads but the texture not, instead I get a nice pink textured car.

Here is my workflow (because I think I do something wrong there):
1) Modeling in blender 2.68
2) Export to blender 2.48
3) Unwrap the model in blender 2.48
4) Export UV layout and start to work in inkscape/gimp
5) Once a the texture is ready I export it in .PNG format
6) I import and apply the texture in blender 2.48 (open it in the UV editor)
7) Select the textured model in blender and export it using the scripts
8) Copy the directory with the xml, png and acc files (plus shadows and wheels)
9) Launch Speed dreams and get upset because I get no texture on the model

I added in attachement all the files (the .blend, the png, the acc, the xml ...). I honestly don't know what to try next I run out of ideas here. It would be cool if someone could explain his way of doing step by step or at least tell me what I am doing wrong. I really want to finish this car. What I dont undestand is that if i import the .acc in blender i get the model textured but in SD it doesn't work. I also tried to import cars which work in the game and they import exactly like this car.

I'd be very thankful if someone could get me out of this situation.

Have a nice day.

J.J.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjsca

Postby chad3006 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:56 pm

J.J.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to Blender, but here's my workflow if it helps any.

Create model in Sketchup
Export the model's components as .OBJ files
Create and modify UV map with Lithunwrap (sometimes UV mapper classic)
Create texture using GIMP
Import the .OBJ(s) into AC3D and make sure it's triangulated and optimized (faces and vertices)
While in AC3D I associate the texture with the model
Save the model in .AC format.
Open the .AC file in Geany (text editor) and rename some of the models components (the car's glass is named WI_GLASS, and the driver's head is named DRIVER)
Then from a DOS prompt, I run sd2-accc.exe and create the final .ACC version of the model.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'll be glad to help if I can, so you can PM me if you want.
chad3006

Postby W-E-C » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:13 pm

Hello,

Finally found the bug -> the size of "ls1-taipan-ltsr3.png" is 2048x2047 px which seems to make SD fail to load it. if you rescale it to 2048x2048 it should work (at least it does for me)

in the ls1-taipan-ltsr3.acc there also is a minor bug -> texture shad has no "empty_texture_no_mapping " instead of "ls1-taipan-ltsr3.png" (oddly enough this bug isn't in the car.acc which you also included)

you also might want to separate all transparent objects into one or more "WI"-objects otherwise you might get problems with those objects
W-E-C

Postby jjsca » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:11 pm

Thank you so much for the answers guys. I tested what you propose W-E-C and it works, thank you so much for finding the bug, I actually did most of the current texture work in inkscape which has sometimes problems with keeping numbers exact and then export it in .PNG. I didn't know that the texture must be square and so i didn't check, anyway thank you guys.

P.S. @ W-E-C: Do you also have a bug with the passenger window (basically it shows through the car as if it was empty and one can see the lanscape through it). That need a bit of investigation, maybe a simple normal problem (but I am not so sure it is that).

Thanks for all.

J.J.
jjsca

Postby chad3006 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 pm

That window problem is what WEC was talking about when he mentioned that you should probably separate all the glass items in the model into an idividual object or component. Them name that component in the .AC file (prior to the .ACC conversion) to WI_something. I use WI_glass. Then sd2-accc will treat the windows and glass as it should when it converts them to .ACC. You can do the same (if you haven't already) to the driver's head and call it DRIVER. Then the driver's head will disappear and not be in the way when the user presses F2 to place them "inside" the car.
chad3006

Return to SD Cars