[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - For Devs: FLAWS IN CAR MODELS

For Devs: FLAWS IN CAR MODELS

Discuss or share your car-related work here

Moderator: kilo

For Devs: FLAWS IN CAR MODELS

Postby Haruna » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:02 am

This is a thread cataloging all of the more obvious flaws present in the cars found in release versions of SD, plus any official work-in-progress cars.

Cars included in release versions of Speed Dreams

ALL CARS
- Most interiors consist only of a single color, low resolution texture.

36GP
- Smoke/dust/etc. disappears through the windscreens of all cars.

TRB1
- Nearly all of the cars resemble real-world models, despite the fact that it's supposed to be an 'original' series

LS-GT1
- ARCHER: Front wheel arches need to be smoothed out
- TAIPAN: Front wheels are too small
- TORO: Front wheel arches are not wide enough - FIXED
- TORO: Front bumper looks too "stock" - FIXED
- VULTURE: Front and rear wheel arches are not wide enough
- VULTURE: Rear diffuser is wrong shape
- ZENTEK: Front end "corners" need smoothing
- ZENTEK: Front and rear wheel arches are not wide enough

SUPERCARS
- BOXER: Windscreen is colored in, making it too hard to look through

Cars NOT included in release versions of Speed Dreams

LS-P1 and P2
- SPRITE P1-RS: Front dive planes not visible from below
- VIERINGE VR8: Front dive planes not visible from below

LS-GT1
- MARISA TECH GT4-R: Needs a painting template

LS-GT2
- SPRITE GTS: Needs a front end rework

KART
- SDR KART 125 and AGL KART: Frame rates drop over 50% even with only one kart on track

MP5
- BASE MODEL: Mapping on the sides is mucked up. (FIXED, but NOT COMMITTED YET)
Last edited by Haruna on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haruna

Re: For Devs: FLAWS IN CAR MODELS

Postby W-E-C » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:36 am

Since i don't know how to use the SD-wiki for asking questions, comments and such i post my 2p here:

Questions on Harunas list:
LS-GT1
- TAIPAN: Front wheels are too small - setup problem or problem with wheel arch?
- ZENTEK: Front and rear wheel arches are not wide enough - it doesn't seem so to me (other opinions?)

LS-GT1
- AICHI AIDORU: Front air dam needs to be smoother - OK
- AICHI AIDORU: Front splitter is the wrong shape - since its a 9X model the shape is about right according to ref pic's
- AICHI AIDORU: Front lights are not correct (if we go by '03 and later models) -OK, however based on 98 model (more or less the one it's based off)
- AICHI AIDORU: Dive planes are missing - 9X-models didn't have them

Questions on Eckhards list:
- Split the car mesh into into parts like:
base car shape, driver, interior, wheels and addons (wings, spoiler etc.) - do you mean having several files for the meshes
or several files for the textures?

btw. i dont know using whether using .ac files in place of .acc files is a good idea because acc groups triangles into fans and triangle-strips to speed up displaying.

my own current list:
LS-GT1:
ARCHER: front light shape
CAVALLO: air intake on bonnet too square
CAVALLO: front bumper to broad
TAIPAN: bubbleshape & roof-scoop
ZENTEK: bigger roof scoop
OTHER: add callaway by RSDG?

SUPERCARS:
CAVALLO: front fender too broad?
NSX: fix bump on rear fender
NSX: shorten roof & make bonnet longer

LS-GT2:
BOXER: roof is too flat
BAVARIA: mapping, headlights and size of b-col - proposed fix see bavaria g3ls
XKR: part of interieur invisible
W-E-C

Postby Haruna » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:12 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Haruna

Postby Roist » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:43 am

Just a thought but the Murasama M35 looks like it belongs in the Nismo (Kanagawa) family/make. Looks to be N370,350 or Inf G35 or G37. Speaking of Nissan, since I drive one, would be nice to see someone work a few of the V8 Supercar Series rides (a Holden, Ford, Nissan) so I can drive that Altima! Since they won't let the Skyline play anymore. Lol. Just a thought guys. Thx.
Roist

Postby Haruna » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:35 am

Haruna

Postby Roist » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:47 am

Thanks Haruna. But forgive as I don't know what you mean by you have already moved 350Z lookalike to "SVN" repository. :roll:
Roist

Postby jjsca » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:07 pm

I also noticed that the Luxura P1 and the Sprite P1 are nearly impossible to get around a corner (massive understeer) and that in the P1 class the cars are not very equal (1:14... with the spire s101 around corkscrew , 1:21... with the vieringe vr8 and luxura / sprite can't get faster than 1:45...). I tried to find real laptimes for laguna seca to get an idea of how fast cars should be and I found this: . According to this the lp1s should run beetween 1: 10 and 1:16 (except the diesels).

I tweaked the sprite's physics to get to 1:15 it was a long way but I got there (after having it flying aroud because of strange suspension :lol: ). I thinks it is quite near to the experience I had with P1 in other games so here it is (see attachement).

By the way:
I saw that the friction coefficient (road - tyre) used in the spire is 2, for me it seams too high (according to this: it should grip more than a formula qualifying tyre, wich seams unrealistic, anyway i used 1.25 for the sprite). That raises the debate of defining the tyre caracteristics in the car physics. Shouldn't it be rather defined in the categories (and have multiple tyres: like wet, intermediate, prime and option for example). And in the car setup define the way the car uses the tyres (wear coefficient, weight applied ...).

In the attachement I added a small .ods file (libre office calc / Excel) wich draws the engine curves out of RPM and Torque information wich I used to modify the setup. The idea is to search for engine dyno graphs on the web and extract useful information from it to create the speed dreams engine setup. Hope it gets useful to someone.

@Roist
The SVN repository is sort of an online stroring system for source code and related data (not only, you can also keep track of the evolution of the code and more) but that is to keep it simple (I hope no SVN fan reads that because he's going to tear me appart after that poor description :roll: ).

Have a nice day.

J.J.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjsca

Postby Haruna » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:28 am

Haruna

Postby jjsca » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:20 pm

jjsca

Postby Haruna » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:14 am

Haruna

Return to SD Cars