Need infos about model splitting and compiling

Discuss or share your car-related work here

Moderator: kilo

Need infos about model splitting and compiling

Postby jjsca » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Hello everyone, I am currently finishing my rework of the taipan ls1 and have finished modelling the car (except for the inside mirror and wiper but I am on that right now). I would like to split my model into 2 files, the car body (all reflective parts here) and the interior (all non reflective parts here), I read somewhere that this was possible, but how should I name the interior file ? The Idea for me is also to experiment with higher res textures using a second file for the interior means more 2d size available for details.

After that I would like to know how you do to compile your cars into acc, I have been trying and searching, but no way to get this done for me.

Finally I would like to try putting 3D wheels on my taipan I guess it is possible but what are the rules to respect for building the 3D model of the wheels ?

With this car I am trying to see how far SD allows detailing, so I don't care so much on polycount or texture size for the moment.

I managed to get a turning steering wheel on this car (basic plane with texture 512x512 applied), it works fine and adds nice game experience, I encourage you to play around with that.

Have a nice evening.

J.J.
jjsca

Re: Need infos about model splitting and compiling

Postby Haruna » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:49 pm

jjsca wrote:Hello everyone, I am currently finishing my rework of the taipan ls1 and have finished modelling the car (except for the inside mirror and wiper but I am on that right now). I would like to split my model into 2 files, the car body (all reflective parts here) and the interior (all non reflective parts here), I read somewhere that this was possible, but how should I name the interior file ? The Idea for me is also to experiment with higher res textures using a second file for the interior means more 2d size available for details.

After that I would like to know how you do to compile your cars into acc, I have been trying and searching, but no way to get this done for me.

Finally I would like to try putting 3D wheels on my taipan I guess it is possible but what are the rules to respect for building the 3D model of the wheels ?

With this car I am trying to see how far SD allows detailing, so I don't care so much on polycount or texture size for the moment.

I managed to get a turning steering wheel on this car (basic plane with texture 512x512 applied), it works fine and adds nice game experience, I encourage you to play around with that.

Have a nice evening.

J.J.

This is a somewhat long post so I'll break it down accordingly.

For breaking the model down into multiple parts, it should be just enough to use different material settings for your cars' objects - for example, the car body uses the shiny material, while the interior and other non-shiny parts get a dull, no specular material.

If you want to use a separate texture for the interior, you can assign a different texture. I think the interior+driver mapping is just called "driver.png" for cars that have it, but as far as I know, no car in SD also has skins for both car body and interior.

When building the model of the car's 3D wheels, you have to model within a 1 meter (in AC3D units) cube. SD will automatically resize the wheels according to the tire parameters set in the car's XML. You can define a custom wheel model for each "speed state" (there are four), using the 36GP cars data as reference. In this way, you can have "normal" offset wheels up front, and then a deeper "dish" on the rear.

Since I use Windows 7 here's what I did to compile my models into the ACC format:
1. I set up a folder on my drive. Something like "C:\temp" will do. Place your models in here.
2. I setup SD's C-Make files, and compiled.
3. I moved sd2-accc.exe to the temp folder.
4. Start > Run... > cmd
5. cd C:\temp
6. accc +es 0 hisui.ac* hisui.acc**
* This field is used to find the model you want to convert.
** This field is used to give the model a name when converted.
Warning: The converter will spaz out when dealing with double-sided faces. To create double-sided objects, create a copy of a single-sided object and flip its normals.
Note: You'll have to convert the AC3D files one at a time.
7. Move your models back to your car's directory.
8. Edit the XML data accordingly.
9. Repeat as needed for model tweaks.
Haruna

Return to SD Cars