[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Audi R8 and other supercars

Audi R8 and other supercars

Discuss or share your car-related work here

Moderator: kilo

Re: Audi R8 and other supercars

Postby chad3006 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:41 pm

chad3006

Postby Tom_D3 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Hello all,
Thank you jjsca for the tips on renderering, i'll look into that later. Shouldn't be too long till I can post them here after I've made the textures. :D
Tom_D3

Postby jjsca » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi Tom to bake textures to get more realistic looks you can use the method described here in the SD wiki:

Unfortunately the blender version used is rather old, I managed to get it work some time ago but wasn't very satisfied with Blender Internals results. I switched to cycles some time ago and now it has got baking implemented (it's quite recent). I found this video which explains pretty well how to create the baked texture.

It even is pretty easy to set up and cycles manages global ilumination so the shadows will be smoother. I frankly am a blender user and have not tried out ac3d's toolset or other alternative tools, but I guess Chad's method is also fine.

For the color map you can use gimp, photoshop, illustrator or inkscape (+bunch of others), frankly results doesn't really depend on the tool, just use the one you are the most familiar with. I tend to use vector graphics as they are really easy to edit and you can easily resize the entire image, but at the end of the process I still need to switch to gimp to add transparency and the baked map.

Hope it helps.

Have a nice day.

J.J.
jjsca

Postby Tom_D3 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try it out now 8-)
Tom_D3

Postby Tom_D3 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Have almost completed baking the DBRS9, should have the completed car posted here soon :D
Tom_D3

Postby jjsca » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi tom,

I guess form the resulting image that you went into bottom view (numpad 7 or shift numpad 7) selected everything and hit project from view. That method works fine for flat 2d sufaces, but I wouldn't use this for a car paint. To get a better idea on how to unwrap the cars you can look to other cars in the SD repo. I found a video that will help you understand maybe a bit further how to unwrap your aston:

I guess it will be easier to look at him rather than reading a confusing text explanation.

Hope it helps you out.

Have a nice day.

J.J.
jjsca

Postby Tom_D3 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Thank you for the help :D .
Once I have correctly unwrapped it, I have the baking procedure sorted. The texture shouldn't take too long, and the DBRS9 and other cars that I've been working on will soon be complete.
Thanks for the help
Tom :)
Tom_D3

Postby Tom_D3 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:54 pm

I have a quick question; should I join any of the parts of the car or should I UV map and bake each individual piece? :)
Tom_D3

Postby chad3006 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:01 pm

short answer from me is I don't know. You do know about keeping the car's glass as a separate part and the driver's head right? The driver's head should be separate and named DRIVER and the glass should be separate and named WI. Other than that, technically the rest of the car could be one part, but keep in mind the rounding effect on body creases and so forth.
chad3006

Postby Tom_D3 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Ok,thanks, I knew about the galss but not the driver, thanks for letting me know :D
Tom_D3

PreviousNext

Return to SD Cars