[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Need for Speed (1) Track Conversion Tool

Need for Speed (1) Track Conversion Tool

Discuss or share your track-related work here

Moderator: kilo

Need for Speed (1) Track Conversion Tool

Postby Nem » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi,
I'm rewriting from scratch a very old project of mine that I've never distributed. I'm developing a tool converts the tracks from the first Need for Speed to Torcs. You can find the tool and some information visiting my site .
Since Speed Dreams is a fork of Torcs, I'd like to give support for it. I've tried to import a track in Speed Dreams and, after some crashes, I did it. To achieve this result I made, by "hand", some changes in my .XML and .ACC files.
Beside the track is playable in Speed Dreams, there still some problems. The first is that it have the wrong background image (Sky version = 1). If a change to "sky version = 0" the background is ok, but the game crashes after few seconds. The second problem is that the shadow map is wrongly mapped on the road. I think that it depends from "raceline" mapping, seems that for the shadow map the game uses the mapping of the raceline texture. The raceline texture is correctly mapped, so I think that Speed Dreams allow only 1 texture mapping coordinates.
Any ideas? There is manual or a tutorial for track editing?

I read somewhere that Speed Dreams use a different set of values for road parameters (Friction, rolling resistance, ...). Is that true? Where I can find this information?

In the folder of the Espie track I found 2 more shadow textures, shadow3 and shadow4, but this files are not used by the track files .acc, .xml. Are they needed by the cars?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You in advance

Regards

Raul

P.S. If You are wondering why I'm doing this, it's only for my own fun. I aware of the fact that the results will be not comparable to modern Speed Dreams tracks.
Nem

Re: Need for Speed (1) Track Conversion Tool

Postby menycsab » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:49 pm

Good idea and good work. I converted the tracks, superb!
menycsab

Postby Nem » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:34 pm

Nem

Postby menycsab » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks!

Is there a program like this which can convert the VDrift tracks for TORCS/Speed Dreams? VDrift has many good tracks!
menycsab

Postby Nem » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Nem

Postby Haruna » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:31 am

The problem with converting tracks from other games is that they have variances in track width in a lot of cases, which SD doesn't support directly. You could port the track models, but you'd need to carefully fit the track XML data and modify the 3D model to fit the track data. At that point, it's probably easier to just make the tracks from scratch.
Haruna

Postby Nem » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Nem

Postby HyenaRacer45 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Well hopefully by June 2016 I will have completed a full rewrite of speed dreams using ioquake3 as the render backend allowing bsp map like boundary definitions to allow for varying widths, and I do plan on tracks from NFS2/3/4 being included re-rendered in OpenGL ( updating ioquake3 to use OpenGL 3.x by default with fallbacks to OpenGL 1.5(min) and support for OpenGL4.x capable GPUs). Just thought I would throw that out there. Any kind of support is greatly appreciated. But yeah I have played torcs and speed dreams for the last 4 years and got hooked on these linux native race games but always was hoping for better framerates and better visuals, not possible using the current render engine, so I have thought about it for the last three years and decided that since I helped delvelope the python language and Quake3Arena"s graphics system, why not refresh myself on the code and developement of those powerhouses and integrate them into torcs and speed dreams for a more playable final result with higher frame rates while acheiving superior graphics, higher polycounts, true emissive surfaces for blake disk glow, brake lights, reverse lights, and projecting headlights (simple volumetric and lightmap emissive texture using quake3's shader system but updated) Also plan on upgradeable vehicles with parts system hybrid of the new 3d nitro nation and race rivals for android. And an official android port of torcs/speed-dreams.
HyenaRacer45

Return to SD Tracks