How do I add banking in the turns?

Discuss or share your track-related work here

Moderator: kilo

How do I add banking in the turns?

Postby Snake » Wed May 06, 2015 5:08 am

I'm trying to make the Martinsville track and I've got it pretty much made but I'm having one problem.

The Martinsville Raceway track has 12° of banking in the turns, but I can't figure out how to put 12° of banking in the turns on my track. Right now the turns are completely flat and I'd like to add that 12° of banking at each end of the track for the turns but I just cannot figure it out.

Any help is appreciated. I'm using the Torcs Track Editor for this. I'm currently testing in Torcs at the moment but when I get done with it I'll try to convert it over to SD.

Thanks!
Snake

Re: How do I add banking in the turns?

Postby Haruna » Wed May 06, 2015 5:55 am

Snake wrote:I'm trying to make the Martinsville track and I've got it pretty much made but I'm having one problem.

The Martinsville Raceway track has 12° of banking in the turns, but I can't figure out how to put 12° of banking in the turns on my track. Right now the turns are completely flat and I'd like to add that 12° of banking at each end of the track for the turns but I just cannot figure it out.

Any help is appreciated. I'm using the Torcs Track Editor for this. I'm currently testing in Torcs at the moment but when I get done with it I'll try to convert it over to SD.

Thanks!

I don't think this is quite the exact process, but have a look at some of the oval tracks' XML definitions. You can find how they put the track banking in that, then save the XML before loading it into the Track Editor. Just generate the track afterwards, don't edit anything through there.
Haruna

Postby Snake » Wed May 06, 2015 7:05 am

Ok thank you. I actually looked in the Bristol XML file and saw it and I found this site which helps a lot: https://commut3r.wordpress.com/2009/10/ ... ke-a-list/

Thanks!
Snake

Postby chad3006 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Here's some threads here in the forum that contian other links and various info that might help too.

http://community.speed-dreams.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=330
http://community.speed-dreams.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=626
chad3006

Postby Snake » Thu May 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks Chad.

I've already created the track but I'm having trouble putting banking in the turns. I tried it last night and the track got all messed up. The turns got banked but the fence got skewed and messed up and I could not figure out how to line up the end of the straight aways with the beginning and end of the turns.

I am really confused as how to go about this.

I can post some screenshots of it if you want to see what I mean. I'm just really confused. :?
Snake

Postby Snake » Fri May 08, 2015 3:48 am

Well, the track is finished but very basic because I don't know how to use Blender and I don't have AC3D. But the turns are still completely flat as I still haven't figured out how to bank the turns and get it to look right and lined up with the straight aways. I will one day though. :)

I'm about to create a new thread and upload both the Torcs version and the SD version once I put them in a zip file for some feedback.

EDIT: I finally figured it out! YES! It's completely finished apart from adding grandstands and whatnot that I cannot do as I lack the knowledge. I'll upload it tomorrow. :)
Snake

Postby Haruna » Fri May 08, 2015 7:35 pm

Snake wrote:Well, the track is finished but very basic because I don't know how to use Blender and I don't have AC3D. But the turns are still completely flat as I still haven't figured out how to bank the turns and get it to look right and lined up with the straight aways. I will one day though. :)

I'm about to create a new thread and upload both the Torcs version and the SD version once I put them in a zip file for some feedback.

EDIT: I finally figured it out! YES! It's completely finished apart from adding grandstands and whatnot that I cannot do as I lack the knowledge. I'll upload it tomorrow. :)

I was just about to give you the answer, but it looks like you got it yourself. Nice! :mrgreen:
Haruna

Return to SD Tracks