[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - 2 player, 2 screen, 1 PC. Possible?

2 player, 2 screen, 1 PC. Possible?

Information about the inner-side magic

Moderator: kilo

2 player, 2 screen, 1 PC. Possible?

Postby Nic KERS » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 am

I've suggested it elsewhere (on another platform developing racing sim forum) without any take up; but I'm convinced it's possible and very desirable - to play a two player race on two screens. Possibly most decent modern graphics cards have two outputs, and if my recent experience is anything to judge by - there's plenty of processing power left available, and my rig isn't that powerful.

I've often seen video of two players racing, side by side with the full pedals and racing seat etc., but there's usually two computers providing the experience as far as I know. Would be a bit of good publicity to demonstrate such a feature. Maybe in 3.0?

I must say (again) I'm very impressed with the sim as is. I've had a lot of fun already. Thanks to all who built it, and Linus, of course - for convincing nVidia to provide a better driver. ;)
Nic KERS

Re: 2 player, 2 screen, 1 PC. Possible?

Postby Haruna » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:51 am

Should be possible. Split screen function.
Haruna

Postby mungewell » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Yep.

Define 2 players in the control section using different controllers, then add those 2 'humans' in the race line up. Once the game has started use '(' to split the screen and PgUp/PgDown to get to each split to the desired player, 'Tab' switches between splits (selected one has a little green square in the lower right). You can change the arrangement of the splits to fit your monitor set up with '_'.

Only down side I see is that there is only 1 audio output, that of the 'selected' split. IIRC the SD 2.0 has a maximum of 4 splits and SVN has 6 - for triple monitor setups.

Simon.

PS Network play with 2 or more PCs in SVN, but still needs more work

PPS If you have a really fancy monitor setup you can hand edit the '.speeddreams-2/config/screen.xml' to make the most of it.
mungewell

Postby Nic KERS » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 pm

I can see I'm going to have to raise my expectations. Otherwise there will be nothing left to dream about! Amazing. Looks like I'll be needing a 'guest' wheel.

On the sound problem: Player 1's car sounds on the left side speaker and player 2's on the right would work well enough for some perhaps, but I was going to be asking about Jack support? I think there are Alsa to Jack workarounds, but anything I use for audio which isn't Jack aware just routes via to my tv/monitor, currently. I noticed there's Plib support. Funny how a word can bring back memories - I was thinking of connecting two PC's by their parallel ports... :)
Nic KERS

Postby mungewell » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 am

mungewell

Postby Dreg41 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:05 am

Why not just put the same sound set for each player ? I know this is a mad idea and makes the game more realistic but is possible . :shock: :o :? Also , you can set the sounds for each player such as only player 1 sounds or only player 2 sounds or crashing sounds for all players . ( Like I crash , there's a sound , and my friend crashes there's another sound ) :geek:
Dreg41

Postby mungewell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:15 pm

mungewell

Return to SD Physics & Internals