[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Car coloring

Car coloring

Information about the inner-side magic

Moderator: kilo

Car coloring

Postby MirceaKitsune » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Another subject I touched on the old forums a while ago. I personally find car coloring an essential feature in any racing game, with full RGB selection support and color picker integration. Are there any plans for such a thing in SD, and should we hope?

I took part at implementing this in vDrift two years ago. My part was changing the car skins to use an alpha channel, so the body could be colored under them. That's the implementation I would suggest in SD as well. Seeing car textures use the png format, I would give all parts except the vinyls an alpha channel, and let the body be rendered behind them with a code-specified color. Skins would also contain the headlight / taillight textures, and all parts that should not be colored.

SD has many cars with complex skins, and I can't guarantee doing this for most of them (unless the skin sources exist in psd format). But still, is there anyone wiling to work on this, and can we hope for it happening? I could not imagine any car game complete without this, and hope it will eventually be possible (even if not so soon).
MirceaKitsune

Re: Car coloring

Postby die996 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:57 pm

I'd love to have an easy-going system to paint cars here on Speed dreams
I was really bad so my skins were really simple but I used to paint cars on NASCAR racing 4 and sometimes even made series like the Champions world league of racing (football-colored cars of 10 countries) or the World oval racing championship (representing 43 nations)
die996

Re: Car coloring

Postby rajonmestra » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 am

Well, car coloring is one of the vital parts in terms of concept cars. The vdrift was actually one of the excellent stuff i have witnessed and seeing the winding texture is a pleasure to me. On the other hand, there are those dark colors that adds details on the concept which is definitely a good idea as well...
rajonmestra

Return to SD Physics & Internals