[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Have Oculus Rift development kit - Need 360 degree VR

Have Oculus Rift development kit - Need 360 degree VR

Information about the inner-side magic

Moderator: kilo

Have Oculus Rift development kit - Need 360 degree VR

Postby mxynidis » Sun May 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi. I've been planning a study on steering systems, and up until now, have been using TORCS. The associated dissertation will include operating a car in reverse--which requires a VR space. I'm doing this research at the University of Central Florida. I've gotten one Oculus Rift kit, and may be able to obtain a second. Ticket #822 (mungewell/rvlander) mentions the need for a dev kit in order to expand SD to support VR via the Rift. I've got one and would like to discuss the issue further with the individuals involved.

I WILL PUT AN OCULUS RIFT KIT IN THE RIGHT HANDS TO GET VR SUPPORT IN SD AND/OR TORCS.

Hopefully, moving from the TORCS platform to SD wont be an issue. The required customizations aren't very complicated: a test track with cones (collision-detecting stanchions) for weaving through, and one-or-two cars where the speed can be fixed at a predetermined rate once entering the slalom. The VR part will essentially be a parallel-parking test into a fixed space. We've already been working at modifying the steering input on the TORCS car--wouldn't expect it to be much different in SD.

Is there anyone I can work with on this? Or, at least, discuss the possibility of Oculus Rift support? Thanks. Looking forward to a good discussion.

-Michael
mxynidis

Re: Have Oculus Rift development kit - Need 360 degree VR

Postby mungewell » Fri May 09, 2014 3:18 pm

This is mostly being handled via discussions on the mailing list. It seems that Gaetan thinks that Oculus support will be possible using the (in development) OSG renderer. I've done some work with car-cone collisions.

Anyone here on the forum got comments/suggestions to add?
Simon.
mungewell

Return to SD Physics & Internals