[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Coast downs at low speed: human vs robot

Coast downs at low speed: human vs robot

Information about the inner-side magic

Moderator: kilo

Coast downs at low speed: human vs robot

Postby adamprune » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:27 am

Hi, all

I've noticed a strange behavior while developing a robot.
When I manually perform coast downs (accelerate, then switch to neutral and coast down to zero speed), - the behavior is a bit different comparing to the case when I do it in robot mode. When doing coast down as robot, at speeds smaller than 7m/s the tires at the drive axle start jittering (it's visible at the tire chart and by sound), this also brings huge jitter in long acceleration signal.

I can't seem to understand why there is such a behavior and why it's different between human and a robot. I tried multiple cars and this behavior seems to be consistent.

Let me know if you know the reason.

Thanks
adamprune

Re: Coast downs at low speed: human vs robot

Postby madbad » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi Adam,
for what I know the physics simulation is exactly the same between robots and human (in reality human is just "a player controlled robot").

So the only differences should be in the "controls"/"commands" that get passed to the physic engine (example: for keyboard some "adjustment"/"smoothing" is applied before passing the value to the physics engine).

To be honest I've seen some tire-jitter myself especially when the car is near 0 or low speed.

Cheers, Madbad
madbad

Return to SD Physics & Internals