[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - WIP Deckard GSX-455

WIP Deckard GSX-455

Show your screenshots to the world!

Moderator: kilo

Forum rules
One inappropriate image here and you don't come back ever.

Re: WIP Deckard GSX-455

Postby xDraconian » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:34 am

Started the interior. That's a wonderful "flipping the canoe" milestone. [cheer][cheer]
Roof lining and door interior.

deckard_gsx_455_wip_jan_08.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xDraconian

Postby simon-2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:37 pm

wow, you're fast :shock: and impressive modeling, too. Thumbs up!
How many Polys do you have right now (-->in-game performance)? Also keep in mind not to exaggerate the interior; what you see in the game is essentially limited to dashboard, steering wheel, A-pillar fairing, center console... and as point of view does not change, you can even make use of textures to fake details here.

For the remains (back seats, back shelf, leg room..), a very rough and low poly model is sufficient, as you will never see it from a close range; you only need this for the car not to appear empty or hollow.
simon-2

Postby xDraconian » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:41 am

Thank you Simon. Slow and steady progress keeps the work from becoming overwhelming. I just commit to a little bit of progress each day.
This model has far too many polys (430K) to be used in the game. I'll greatly reduce the poly count for the final version. Seems most SD cars have fewer than 20K polys so I'll use this metric as a rough goal.

Appreciate you sharing the tips. Cannot tell from the image above, but the back seat is a very basic block model. I also skipped doing the rear seat details like seat belts, armrests, etc.
All comments are welcome.

Here is today's entry for the build log. Worked on the seats. It's starting to look track worthy.

deckard_gsx_455_wip_jan_09.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xDraconian

Postby jjsca » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi XDraconian, That is a nice piece of model :o ! Indeed, 430k is far too heavy, but I think you should be able to bring this one down by quite a lot. For the back seat and co, I would go for more details on that model (not directly used so no poly constraints) and then when you feel it has enough details and like your model, I would start the shrinking process (it would be a shame to leave all this work unfinished on the high poly). Depending on the method you used to build this high detail model, it might be easier to start of a blank plane and remodel the stuf on top of this model.

As a blender user, I would also advise you to use the sharp edges flag with the edge split modifier. I joined you an example of my latest work with the indications where to find the options:

The cyan lines are the edges I flagged, as you can see it works quite well to control smoothing. This might help you with your car for the sharper lines. If you also have the budget, you can bevel the edges with 2 subdivisions and mark both extremes of the bevel with sharp lines, this simulates quite well the small radii. For the interior, you could also redraw the shapes with minimum details and bake the high poly details onto a texture. On the interior model focus more on the front door panels, dashboard, the steering wheel and the visible stuff.

If you need anything during the creation / exportation process, feel free to ask me. Also if you need help with physics for this car tell me.

Looking at you model, I keep wondering what it would be like to have a race version as a bonus with big fat good years, a rollcage, 800 hp and side pipes. In that direction :D :
What do you think ?

Keep up the epic work, it is going to pay dividends when finished. ;)

Cheers,
J.J.
jjsca

Postby xDraconian » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:10 am

J.J. Thank you much for your post and feedback. Appreciate the guidance as I work through this process.

The bevel approach is how I did the seats, but will try out your suggestion for edge split & sharp.

Like you suggested, I've also been thinking that multiple configurations would be pretty cool. First version will be stock, but I would like a version with weight reduction, turbo charger, different liveries, race tire/rims, etc.

Thanks for the offer to assist if I run into challenges.

Today's builder log entry...
Simple blocking out of dash and steering wheel.

deckard_gsx_455_wip_jan_10.png
xDraconian

Postby xDraconian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:30 am

I'm curious... any other cars currently being worked?

For today, I added a bit more detail to the steering wheel and dash. I also noticed some unexpected geometry in the fender that required some rework.

deckard_gsx_455_wip_jan_11.png
xDraconian

Postby chad3006 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Looking good!
chad3006

Postby xDraconian » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:45 am

Thanks Chad.

For those folks that have been closely watching this thread, want you to know that it may be a few days before I have another update. My computer crashed and I'm in the process of re-imaging it. :(
xDraconian

Postby chad3006 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Oh man, that sounds familiar. I'm always getting by with other people's cast off computers, I patch 'em up and get them working again, but they usually only last two years or so, until they crash on me and I have to scrounge up another one.
chad3006

Postby xDraconian » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:58 am

Well, finished the reimaging of my computer. That was a lot of work.

Got back to modeling the dashboard today.
xDraconian

Previous

Return to Gallery