[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - chad3006's car thread

chad3006's car thread

Discuss or share your car-related work here

Moderator: kilo

Re: chad3006's car thread

Postby chad3006 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Just about everyone said, “Chad, please make a '41 Oldsmobile, we love the thrill of a straight 8 coupled with a two speed hydromatic transmission, and that art-deco styling; no motor-sport sim is complete without one, please make one, please!” So I did … actually nobody asked for a '41 Olds, but I wanted to experiment a little bit. This car incorporates several experiments, some worked, some didn't. You'll probably get a laugh when you discover the driver's severed arms. Maybe one of these days I'll drop in a supercharged 455 and make a drag car out of it; it'd make a nice gasser.

Deckard Hydra:
Created by: chad3006 with various bits from SD-cars
Category: Preview
Based on: 1941 Oldsmobile
License: GNU Public License

Horse Power: 110 H.P.
Max Torque: 252 Nm @ 2300 rpm
Weight: 1492 Kg
Weight on Front: 55%
Drivetrain: RWD

Car download link:
chad3006

Postby W-E-C » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:16 pm

very nice, the car has a good balance of detail and polycount
it also reminds me very much of goofys car in motor mania :)

only thing is the steering, imo the rectangle for hr-wheel should be longer so the lower edge can't be seen when turning the wheel, also using higher res for its texture would remove the pixeled look (maybe a seperate texture for it?)
W-E-C

Postby chad3006 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:52 pm

On the steering "plane": I considered those things you suggested, but I wasn't sure if the whole concept was a good, low poly solution in the first place. Do you think it is worth developing further?
chad3006

Postby W-E-C » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:12 am

Imho thats probably a matter of taste (and if you're quicker in 2d or 3d) since the hr-steering wheel (or plane) is only visible in first person view so you don't neet that much triangle pinching.
a real 3d-model has ofcourse he benefit of having depth to it while a 2-d plane probably looks smoother edgewise.
W-E-C

Postby chad3006 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 pm

I suppose the 2d plane has another benefit, in that it would be easy to change steering wheel styles -- stock version, race, etc. If we could get rid of the shiney shader it'd be even better.
chad3006

Postby chad3006 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:30 pm

I've updated all the tran am series cars, some very subtly, some pretty extensively. The fenders are fixed, lowered and it has some performance tweaks. The has a meaner stance and front spoiler and some performance tweaks. The is hardly changed at all. The has been tweaked somewhat. The is lowered and has some UV mapping improvements—and new wheels. The is only slightly changed—new wheels. I did not change the preview pictures. And I've added these two:

1967 Brumby:
Category: TA50
Based on: 1967 Mustang

Horse Power: 400 H.P.
Max Torque: 463 Nm @ 5250 rpm
Weight: 1247 Kg
Weight on Front: 55%
Categories download link: http://phillipsarts.com/files/TransAm-classes.zip
Car download link: http://phillipsarts.com/files/TA50-fmc-brumby67.zip

'71 Patriot Javelina:
Category: TA50
Based on: 1971 AMC Javelin

Horse Power: 402 H.P.
Max Torque: 501 Nm @ 6460 rpm
Weight: 1280 Kg
Weight on Front: 51%
Categories download link: http://phillipsarts.com/files/TransAm-classes.zip
Car download link: http://phillipsarts.com/files/TA50-patriot-javelina.zip
Last edited by chad3006 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chad3006

Postby W-E-C » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Again 2 very nice cars, the early 70's AMX is a really goodlooking car

i think the brumby-wheels shouldn't be so deep in their well (at least looking at sth like this-> http://bringatrailer.com/2010/02/14/bas ... -am-coupe/)

for both cars maybe the rim could be made a bit larger in comparison to the tyre:
jav_with_larger_rim.jpg

(hopefully SD gets custom wheel support, the "civilian" javelina needs slot mag wheels IMHO)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
W-E-C

Postby chad3006 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 pm

I agree about the brumby's wheels set too far in the fender wells, but if I bring 'em out, then they get into the fenders too much when turning or cornering. If I stiffen the suspension too much then it handles badly. So if anyone know's the solution for that let me know.
chad3006

Postby W-E-C » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:40 am

It seems the rear suspension is softer than the front suspension which seems to contract very little:

i don't know it such a thing works with SD-physics though.
otherwise making the frontWheels slightly smaller and their ride height slightly higher might minimize the visual error.

IMHO the better looks of broader stance excuses the small error of sometimes cutting a little through the fenders
W-E-C

Postby Haruna » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Chad, if you're that adamant about not wanting the front wheels to poke through the fenders, why not try reducing the maximum steering angle until it stops clipping?
Haruna

PreviousNext

Return to SD Cars