Linux - new force feedback subsystem

For random discussions which aren't directly related to Speed-Dreams

Moderator: kilo

Linux - new force feedback subsystem

Postby mungewell » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi all,
As some know I am involved with the Linux kernel support of the Logitech wheels, which work well in the Linux version of iRacing (apparently - I haven't tried it myself). There is some work to move to a new force feedback sub-system (ff-memless-next), and I would be interested in hearing any reports on whether this actually works for end users..... especially those playing racing-sims.

A Ubuntu/Debian kernel can be found here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34518077/linux-headers-3.15.0-rc1-ds4-lmnx-rep%2B_20140423_amd64.deb
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34518077/linux-image-3.15.0-rc1-ds4-lmnx-rep%2B_20140423_amd64.deb

Thanks,
Simon.
mungewell

Re: Linux - new force feedback subsystem

Postby tlow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:29 pm

mungewell wrote:Hi all,
As some know I am involved with the Linux kernel support of the Logitech wheels, which work well in the Linux version of iRacing (apparently - I haven't tried it myself).

Your name was actually mentioned on the iRacing Linux forum!

There is no Linux version of iRacing: it runs on an OEM version of Crossover, which has custom code that allows iRacing's FFB to work correctly (according to what a Codeweaver rep told me). Both regular Wine and standard Crossover have FFB support but I have never seen it work with anything I tried, including iRacing, rFactor, and a FFB test utility.

mungewell wrote:There is some work to move to a new force feedback sub-system (ff-memless-next), and I would be interested in hearing any reports on whether this actually works for end users..... especially those playing racing-sims.

VDrift had working force feedback the last time I tried it. Your SD FFB patch works too but the FFB was so strong that it actually made steering too difficult on an the LSGT1 car I was driving.

I'm using Debian and I compile kernels from the DRM graphics development branch, so a patch would be more useful.
tlow

Postby mungewell » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:07 pm

tlow wrote:There is no Linux version of iRacing: it runs on an OEM version of Crossover, which has custom code that allows iRacing's FFB to work correctly (according to what a Codeweaver rep told me). Both regular Wine and standard Crossover have FFB support but I have never seen it work with anything I tried, including iRacing, rFactor, and a FFB test utility.

Would definately like some more information on that. My belief was that Wine(/etc) was able to pass FFB to Linux kernel, but it not something that I have tried. Just picked up RBR for $5 so will probably try that on Wine.

tlow wrote:I'm using Debian and I compile kernels from the DRM graphics development branch, so a patch would be more useful.

The patches are all on the linux mailing list, a slightly improved version (in 24 parts) can be found here:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/4069131/

Thanks for the report,
Simon
mungewell

Postby mungewell » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:58 pm

tlow wrote:Both regular Wine and standard Crossover have FFB support but I have never seen it work with anything I tried, including iRacing, rFactor, and a FFB test utility.

From the 'works for me' camp; I managed to get Richard Burns Rally installed (after fighting the GFX card/drivers for a bit) and the game plays nicely with the Linux force-feedback. Might only being doing 'Constant Force' (which might be simpler than other games), but it's quite convincing.

Simon
mungewell

Postby Eliasvan » Thu May 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi,
tlow wrote:There is no Linux version of iRacing: it runs on an OEM version of Crossover, which has custom code that allows iRacing's FFB to work correctly (according to what a Codeweaver rep told me). Both regular Wine and standard Crossover have FFB support but I have never seen it work with anything I tried, including iRacing, rFactor, and a FFB test utility.

Do you remember what FFB test utility you talked about?

Thanks,
Elias
Eliasvan

Postby tlow » Fri May 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Eliasvan wrote:Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was called, and I deleted since it was a Windows program. I found it by googling "windows forceback test" or something like that. Another option is to use the test Wine's game controller panel, but it is written specifically for Wine, so it better to test with an actual Windows program.
tlow

Postby Eliasvan » Sat May 03, 2014 10:58 am

tlow wrote:
Eliasvan wrote:Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was called, and I deleted since it was a Windows program. I found it by googling "windows forceback test" or something like that. Another option is to use the test Wine's game controller panel, but it is written specifically for Wine, so it better to test with an actual Windows program.

A quick google search delivered some results, I tested the following ones:

- Force Test (http://www.fs-force.com/support.htm)
This one actually worked better on (my custom FF patched) Wine with MLNX using Logitech MOMO Black,
than on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with the latest Logitech drivers:
On Linux, there were no error-messages, and the effects behaved as they should; in contrast with Windows.

- MS FEdit (from DX7 SDK)
Also works nicely with my setup. I started from this application to patch Wine, this means that it didn't work good / at all with the un-patched Wine.
Parts of it work better than on Windows, but some functions are not yet implemented (either in MLNX (dynamic updating of effects), or in Wine (e.g. loading and saving FFE files)).

Was it one of these two apps?
Eliasvan

Postby tlow » Sun May 04, 2014 5:19 am

Eliasvan wrote:Force Test

Fairly sure I tried this one.
Eliasvan wrote:This one actually worked better on (my custom FF patched) Wine with MLNX using Logitech MOMO Black,

What is MLNX? (Google doesn't return anything obvious.) Any chance that you might contribute your patch to Wine?
tlow

Postby Eliasvan » Sun May 04, 2014 8:08 am

tlow wrote:
Eliasvan wrote:This one actually worked better on (my custom FF patched) Wine with MLNX using Logitech MOMO Black,

What is MLNX? (Google doesn't return anything obvious.)

Excuse me, I thought Simon had already used that term, it's an abbreviation for "ff-memless-next".
For the old version, i.e. "ff-memless", we use the term "FFML".

tlow wrote: Any chance that you might contribute your patch to Wine?

I've already sent most of them for review to the wine-devel mailing lists:
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-de ... 03268.html
It can take some time once everything is reviewed. After that's done, and when I've got time, I will release (a) patchset(s). Once those are accepted, it will be included in Wine :)
Eliasvan

Postby Eliasvan » Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 am

tlow wrote: What is MLNX? (Google doesn't return anything obvious.) Any chance that you might contribute your patch to Wine?

BTW, you might also be interested in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV-yh72GO30
Eliasvan

Return to Off-topic