[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Force Feedback

Force Feedback

Information about the inner-side magic

Moderator: kilo

Force Feedback

Postby wolfshark » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:38 am

How can be Speed Dreams called "simulator" when there is no Force Feedback support? Nobody will take it seriously without FFB.
wolfshark

Re: Force Feedback

Postby Haruna » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Probably because we've got other more important problems that need to be dealt with. Like fixing game breaking physics/graphical bugs.

Also, FFB is not easy to code, especially when you've got to get it to work on both Windows and Linux operating systems.

We also cannot steal code from vDrift because the physics engines behind SD and vDrift are not interchangeable, and there's no way we're going to stoop as low as reverse-compiling GTR2 or rFactor for shits and giggles.
Haruna

Postby TerraRoot » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 pm

personaly (i got nothin to do with the dev) i don't care for FFB, i still race with a keyboard, gran turismo 1&2 didn't need it and there still good!
TerraRoot

Postby kilo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 pm

kilo

Postby mungewell » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:39 am

The main problem with FF (or the lack of it) is the fact that the current joystick/wheel library (PLIB) does not support it. There was discussion about moving the joysticks to SDL, which has been promising FF in SDL1.3 - which still isn't released. There was a patch back ported, however this doesn't appear to work with 2D devices (ie. joysticks).

So overall the FF situation is a bit of a mess. If you'd like to work on it, then that would be great - but we don't expect anything will be done until after the upcoming SD 2.0 release.
Simon.

EDIT: If you want to try SDL1.2 with FF patched in I did a set of '.debs' which you can get here:
http://mungewell.org/Logitech_Wii_Wheel/
mungewell

Postby wolfshark » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:03 pm

I really don't have the time to study the source code. But if the physics engine is done right - you already have the forces, and implementing the FF is kinda easy. But yes - sdl is the way to go. If i had the time, surely i would help, but it's not possible at this time.
wolfshark

Postby mungewell » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:50 pm

We're getting very close to this, but it still relies on SDL1.3/2.0 being released. We have patches in Trac which get something going - however since I'm not a physics expert I'm not quite sure what to pick out of the sim engine to accurately drive the wheel.

The two patches are:
SDL Joystick - http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/speed- ... ticket/172
SDL2 support - https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/speed ... ticket/711

The second involves patching cmake so that it works OK.

At present I'm using _ForceY() returned for each wheel in 'wheel.cpp' for SimV3, but this is very bumpy (especially at low speed). Any better suggestions?
Simon
mungewell

Postby Roist » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 am

Well, I just picked up a Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience from a local Thrift Town today. Configured it. Collaborated it. Worked like a charm. Thanks for allowing that support developers. As for FFB, update supposedly was installing as I shut down before leaving. Thurstmaster has a driver if FFB becomes available and that shut down update didn't do the trick. I love SD. I just wish this community would come back. :roll:
Roist

Postby mungewell » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48 am

mungewell

Postby Roist » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:37 am

Lol. Yea. That 1'46''006 was with a MadCatz Xbox controller (analog sticks very sketchy at high speeds). I tried to chase Nic Kers' 1:43.772, but that was easy to give up on after finally getting under you and longtomjr. As for the wheel, Thrustmaster's website and all other info points to this Ferrari GT experience having FFB. However, didn't feel in Victory: Age of Racing initially (after plug and play driver install). So I went to their website and downloaded the driver. It said that during calibration and test, there should be a FFB test tab. There was none. Had to uninstall due to inability to find a sufficient avenue to recalibrate the wheel. Only the pedals.

No worries about FFB. I just feel blessed to have found that wheel for $4.99 and that you guys are able allow me to use my wheel with this insightful app. I have no idea if Thrustmaster works with Linux. It's PS3 and PC compatible. Glad to see Linux surviving. I used to sell that OS back in the 90's when I worked at Office Max.
Roist

Return to SD Physics & Internals