[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - W-E-C's car thread

W-E-C's car thread

Discuss or share your car-related work here

Moderator: kilo

Re: W-E-C's car thread

Postby Radoye1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:05 am

Attached you will find the three best photos i have showing the rear end of a pre-2012 IndyCar. Photo #1 is a show car, the light is faired over for some reason (the gearbox and rear suspension mountings are shown nicely). The other two photos have the light visible.

And here's my take on the TK car:

mpa1-10-preview.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Radoye1

Postby Radoye1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:01 pm

FYI - i'll be out of commission for the next while, very busy at work. But i'm keeping an eye on all the developments here, i'll be back... ;)
Radoye1

Postby jjsca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi every one, it has been a tough week but still managed to work a bit on the Mpa 11 car, I even got the first in game shots. Here they are:
sd-20150111133405.png

sd-20150111133412.png

sd-20150111133759.png

sd-20150111133845.png

It looks pretty promising but there is still some work to do, I need to tweak the position of the wheels and the materials of the wheels too (damn white spec bug btw, very limitating for that, but I'll improvise). I also need to adjust the steering wheel size and position as well as the cams. And finally I need to texture the interior and the driver. At last I will have to take car of the shaders, they aren't so bad on this version but some things can be optimised. BTW these pics are .ac files with hi res textures (2048 for the bodyy 1024 for the steerwheel and 512x256 for the wheels ).

I wonder how we could do to texture the different wing types, obviuosly the "simpler" solution is to use the same texture and try to overlap the wings UVs, it would work even if not perfect for the pre 2012 mpas, but with the new dw12 rear wings and pods are different so I guess it won't give optimal graphical results. I had an idea to solve this, which is to have a texture for wings, it allows to keep the trunc of the car but then the UVs for the wings can be optimised. I know I can do this already in SD, it should work, but what do you think ? Is it a good idea ? It would also free more space for the body and we could diminish pixelisation.

Any comments welcome.

Hope you like it :D

Have a nice day.

J.J.

EDIT: Sorry for the white on the images, if you copy them on to your desktop it disapears, I don't know how to correct this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjsca

Postby Tom_D3 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:35 pm

That looks great! Can't wait to drive it :D
Tom_D3

Postby jjsca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi everyone, I am working on the Mpa 11 car setup, I have a bit of troubles to find the specs of the real cars to base myself on (chassis, tire sizes, engine power). Anyone has got an idea where I can get good refs, I only found this:

I know it is not the 2011 car but it seams pretty similar. Unfortunately (for the moment) my specs researches always end up on the dw12. On the engine I saw that it is a 3.5 liters v8 naturally aspirated with 650 to 680 hp (when push to pass is used, not sure it existed in 2011...) max rev 10300 rpm. For the suspension and aero I guess my SD knowledge is too limited, any help from experts is welcome.

On the graphics side I saw that I missef a few details here and there so I'll work on that. Now I wonder is there the possibility to have a wheel assembly rotating only on steering and not with the wheel. It would add realism and look less stupid (wheel would not collide with it). Oh and by the way are moving suspension arms possible ? Yeah I know always asking for more :lol:, but that would be cool.

Good night.

J.J.
jjsca

Postby Radoye1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:24 pm

Wow the car looks nice, maybe the colors are a bit bright (i based the yellow on the "Spirit" logo) other than that my hat is off to you Sir! :D

Maybe this helps:

2011 car specs:

Chassis: Dallara IR5 carbon-fibre monocoque with honeycomb kevlar structure
Engine manufacturer: Honda HI7R Indy V8
Engine displacement: 3.5 L (3,500 cc; 214 cu in) DOHC V8
Gearbox: 6-speed semi-automatic paddle shift gearbox with reverse
Weight: 1,525 lb (692 kg) on ovals, 1,600 lb (726 kg) on road courses including coolant and lubricants but does not include driver and fuel
Power output: 650-670 hp (485-500 kW) depending on push-to-pass mode @ 10000 rpm
Fuel: Sunoco 100% fuel grade Ethanol
Fuel capacity: 22 US gallons (83 litres)
Fuel delivery: Fuel injection
Aspiration: Naturally aspirated
Length: 192 in (4,877 mm) minimum
Width: 78.5 in (1,994 mm) maximum; 77.5 in (1,968 mm) minimum (outside wheel rims)
Wheelbase: 122 in (3,099 mm)
Wheel rims: BBS and O.Z. Racing forged aluminium wheels
Front wheel size: 10 x 15 in
Rear wheel size: 14 x 15 in
Tires: Firestone Firehawk radial dry slick and rain treaded tires
Front tire size: 305/45 - R15
Rear tire size: 415/40 - R15
Steering: Variable power-assisted rack and pinion steering

2011 engine specs:

Type: Atmospheric engine
Manufacturer: Honda Performance Development
Tuner/builder: Honda Performance Development
Assembly plant: Honda Racing built Santa Clarita, California, USA
Designation: HI7R Indy V8
Configuration: V8 engine
V-angle: 90° cylinder angle
Displacement: 3,500 cc (3.5 L; 213.6 cu in)
Engine position: Mid-engined, longitudinally-mounted
Maximum engine operating temperature: Over 1,000 °C (1,832 °F)
Valvetrain: 32-valve, DOHC, four-valves per cylinder, four-camshafts
Valve springs: Wire type
Bore diameter: 93 mm (4 in)
Cylinder block: Aluminium alloy
Cylinder head: Aluminium alloy
Aspiration: Normally aspirated (no turbocharger)
Weight: Minimum dry weight is 280 lb (127 kg) - no headers, clutch, ECU, spark box or filters
RPM rev limit: 10300 rpm (league-supplied rev limiter), 10500 rpm on push-to-pass mode
Power output: 650-690 hp (485-514 kW) depending on push to pass mode @ 8000-10300 rpm
Torque: Approx. 430 N·m (317 ft·lbf) @ 8000 rpm
Push-to-pass: Allowed, extra 40 hp boost @ 12 seconds with 10 seconds recharge time. 20 times of push-to-pass is allowed during the race
Maximum speed: 380 km/h (236 mph) on Indianapolis 500, 360 km/h (224 mph) on intermediate ovals, 340 km/h (211 mph) on short ovals and road/street courses depending on push-to-pass mode
Fuel: 100% fuel grade Ethanol provided by Sunoco
Fuel delivery: Keihin PGM-FI fuel injection
Fuel mileage: 2-3.5 mile/gal depending on speed and fuel saving
Crankshaft: Alloy steel, 5 main bearing caps
Pistons: Forged aluminium alloy
Connectiong rods: Machined alloy steel
Filter: K&N Engineering
Lubrication: Dry sump
Oil vendors: PEAK Motor Oil, Pennzoil Ultra (Team Penske), Valvoline, Quaker State, CITGO (KV Racing)
Radiator fluid: PEAK Antifreeze
Cooling: Single water pump
Water radiator: C&R Racing CR-IC-CPR001B MARSTON core water cooling system. Maintains engine coolant tempratures to manufacturer’s specifications
Oil radiator: C&R Racing CR-IC-CQC001B MARSTON core oil cooling system. Maintains engine oil temperatures to manufacturer’s specifications
Exhaust systems: 4-way silenced inconel exhaust header as hot engine exhaust exits through the header system. The exhaust tail pipes must have a tolerance of plus or minus 1/8 inches from the rear face of the exhaust shroud. The tail pipe must be trimmed parallel to the face of the shroud
Injector: Electronic
Battery: Bosch 12 volts
Spark Plugs: NGK
Engine management: Motorola
Ignition: Honda PGM-IG CDI
Traction control: Not allowed
Radoye1

Postby jjsca » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:15 pm

jjsca

Postby Radoye1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Radoye1

Postby jjsca » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:52 pm

jjsca

Postby Radoye1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm

I've been following motorsports - especially F1 - religiously my entire life, my grandfather was a big fan back in the 70's and some of my earliest memories are of me sitting on his lap watching the races on a black-and-white TV. I was 3 when Lauda crashed at the 'Ring and although i have no memory of the crash itself (i seen it only years later on the net) i remember being worried and asking my mother every day if there are news about "Mr. Lauda". When he cane back jusr weeks later for me that was the definite proof racing drivers are superheroes just like Superman and Spiderman which was another fascination of mine at that tender age. :lol:

My grandpa had a huge collection of motoring magazines, so once i learned to read i was going through them reading every tidbit about racing i could find. That's how i became aware of the Indy scene in the US, which wasn't covered on the TV back home. My interest peaked when i found out that some of the drivers i knew form F1 were now competing there - like Mario Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi, but there was precious little info available - just a short report from the 500, or a few lines if there was a bad crash. It wasn't until 90's when EuroSport started showing the races when Mansell crossed over that i got the chance to follow it in earnest. In those days the cars looked like rocketships, much more aggressive than the contemporary F1 cars, just total brutal beasts, and the tracks looked primitive in comparison to the Grand Prix tracks i was used to see, and the racing was just fascinating!

IndyCar had its ups and downs, on occasions it was downright farcical, but it's still here. Since i moved across the pond i had the chance to start going to races, and i must say even though F1 still wins as the technologically most spectacular racing series and has the most skilled drivers in the world, seeing an IndyCar race live is much more fun! You're much closer to the action, the level of access to the teams and drivers is far greater, you get much more bang for your buck than in F1 where unless you have the most expensive VIP package they treat you as a pariah.

And since the introduction of the new car the on-track product has become top quality once again! Too bad the coverage is so bad that one actually has to make a conscious effort to follow IndyCar while F1 and NASCAR are everywhere - sometimes i'm afraid to open my fridge expecting to see Smoke or Junior jumping out of it! :lol:
Radoye1

PreviousNext

Return to SD Cars