[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Tutorials section

Tutorials section

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

Tutorials section

Postby die996 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:54 pm

I'd really like to have a tutorials section so the masters of the game can teach normal people (like me) on how to make stuff for this game. I'd really like to paint cars (I used to that on NASCAR racing 4) and to create robots

I'm no computer expert so a tutorial for "noobs" would be great for me :mrgreen:
die996

Re: Tutorials section

Postby mungewell » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Personally I like to do things like this in vector graphic, rather than bit map.... what you can do is export some key layers (just the wireframe if starting completely from scratch) from the gimp files and import them into inkscape.

Draw the appropriate graphics/decals etc and then export a bitmap at the required 2048x2048, and stick this as another layer withing the gimp stackup. Then (finally) enable the shadow layer and export as the completed skin 'png'.

Keeping stuff in vector, with items grouped and appropriately named would help reuse and build the number of skins we could offer.
Simon
mungewell

Postby WingCommander » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:11 pm

I've been using layered .xcf files to separate the different aspects of a skin. Then I save the new creation as .rgb or .png

I want to learn Blender but have not had the time. I have no 3D graphics experience.
WingCommander

Postby die996 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:44 pm

I know you 2 were saying something to me about this game... the question is what :lol:
die996

Postby WingCommander » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:19 am

WingCommander

Postby mungewell » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:32 pm

And we're both assuming that you know that the 'skin' (graphics on the car) is handled by mapping a 2D image/bitmap (PNG or RGB format) onto the surface off the 3D model. So simply put, if you want the car to have a different paint job you can just alter the PNG file.

The different skins are selectable in game under the 'change car' menu page, the list is automatically filled by looking files with the name '<car-name>-<skin-name>.png' (and '...-preview.jpg' for the preview image). The skins can also contain different graphics for the wheels ('wheel3d-<skin-name>.png').

Simon.
mungewell

Postby mungewell » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:40 pm

I should add that the gimp ('.xcf' files) contain multiple layers, including baked shadows and mapping (wireframe) templates. So if you enable the mapping layer you can see where the texture will be mapped on the body of the car.

To help my kids design some skins I converted some of the mapping layers to PDF here:
http://www.mungewell.org/Logitech_Wii_W ... plates.zip

If you don't have the source code for SD2.0, you can pick and choose the Gimp files you want via 'svn-browse':
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/speed- ... ars/models

Gimp is available for both Linux and Win32.
Simon.
mungewell

Postby WingCommander » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Wow! Thx Mungewell!!! I learned a few things from that!

Now I have to get to work on some compliant file naming. :)
WingCommander

Postby WingCommander » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Perhaps this forum should have tutorials thread!

I have been having problems importing the .ac files into Blender. Very little can be found on the web and I am getting very frustrated!

Can someone help? I am using Ubuntu 11.10 and Blender 2.61
WingCommander

Postby W-E-C » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:24 pm

@WingCommander:
i only use blender for shadowmaps (and work on windoze) but as far as i know the .ac import/export script is only in Blender 2.48/2.49.

i tried blender 2.61 too, but apparently you need an external script. i tried the script from here:
https://github.com/majic79/Blender-AC3D

i could not get it to work though but that might be due to some error on my part (or 2.61 is too new for it).
propably the flight gear forum might be a good point for information because they also use the ac format.
W-E-C

Next

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help