[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - How do i efficiently recreate real-world locations?

How do i efficiently recreate real-world locations?

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

How do i efficiently recreate real-world locations?

Postby Sneebol » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:29 pm

I would like to start making tracks, based on real-world locations. Now, that's not a problem, but my idea is to add a whole city of tracks to the game, my birthtown Köping to be exact. I could do it manually by tracing a screenshot of the map, but that means it might just take many weeks. I think I could also convert the screenshot into an SVG, but how could I convert that into an ac3d file? I might know enough programming to compile the numbers from the SVG, but then there's that other "stuff"...

EDIT: Discovered:
this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9j3xqZ7kg8
and this: http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6987.
Gonna see what I'll make of that later.
Sneebol

Re: How do i efficiently recreate real-world locations?

Postby simon-2 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 pm

hi Sneebol,

i'm not sure what you mean by "a whole city of tracks"- but if i got you right, you want to freely drive around in that city? if so, speed dreams is probably not the correct game for this :oops:

First, you should notice that the ac3d-file is only the graphical representation of a track, while the physical part that is used by the game engine solely depends on the corresponding xml file.
In other words, you could use an xml-file of track A and an ac-file of another track B and mix it; the game engine would presumably start without an error, but the result would be really weird as you would see track b and drive track A at the same time...
Second thing is that a track in speed dreams must be a closed loop without any junctions or crossroads. There is some effort on using the same ac file with different xmls (for track variants), but afaik it is still wip, and even if this was finished, it would not work to "freely drive around", as you could only drive one track variant at a time (so maybe you could create a hundred xml files with different tracks through Köping, but you would have to decide what track to drive prior to starting a race). To be true, nothing else would make sense for racing :mrgreen:

third thing is that real world racing tracks are probably a better choice for a racing game ;)

i hope i did not disappoint you too much... but if you're still interested in making tracks (please! :oops:), you should read the "20 minutes torcs track creation manual" to understand how tracks work in SD (same as in torcs). But attention! The title is very delusive; the truth is that it's hardly possible to create a nice track in less than some weeks (city or not)...

best regards
simon-2

Postby Leopjing » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:42 pm

If you are interested in track making please take a look at this post (section: track making)
i post all important links there.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=751#p2803
Leopjing

Postby simon-2 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:08 pm

having saddled myself with a similar task, i did some "research" on this topic :oops:

i stumbled over the great work by Vladimir Elistratov:
in this repo, you can get blender-geo and bcga (both being addons for blender).

With blender-geo, you can import building footprints from an osm-file (OpenStreetMap).

Subsequently, bcga is used to create 3d-buildings out of these footprints. This step is controlled by a rule set, being a python file...

there are some example rule sets in this repo: and the basic concepts are explained here .

Seems to be a very efficient way to create city scenery...

attached is a rule set i made for a textured lowpoly-building; see the screenshots for results:

bcga-lowpoly.png

parameters like overall height, floor height and tile width can be changed interactively. bcga itself has much more functionality...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simon-2

Postby Sneebol » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:23 am

Sneebol

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help