[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - turning while braking

turning while braking

Information about the inner-side magic

Moderator: kilo

turning while braking

Postby color » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:26 am

I noticed that during braking, the steering is not fully effective. This makes it impossible to turn when you are at a corner and you also need to apply the brake. For example, when I am making a left hand turn and I also apply the brake, the car just does not turn enough (it turns just a little bit) and hits the wall on the right hand side even with the steering turned fully to the left. As I understand, steering should be independent of braking. So I am not sure how one is supposed to race on tracks other than the oval tracks in speed dreams.

I also noticed that the problem does not exist in TORCS.

Anybody got a solution to this problem?
color

Re: turning while braking

Postby TerraRoot » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:06 am

on a technique point you should be braking in a straight line before turning for the corner.

are you using the keyboard or a wheel? ABS?

i'm a keyboard player and i've found the brakes all to be overly massive, to the point of overcoming the ABS, try setting the piston sizes smaller in the XML.
TerraRoot

Postby WingCommander » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like realistic physics.

If one brakes while cornering, the result can be understear.

If you try the sc-fmc-gt4, the braking can point you into a corner, but the overstear will turn you around backwards.

I use the mouse. I find it easier to stear (gradually).

You may be able to tap the brake key rapidly. This would modulate the braking much like real anti-lock brakes. I have noticed that the AI drivers do this.
WingCommander

Postby mungewell » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:21 pm

There are a few things you can check...

1). Is ABS enabled?
2). If you bring up the cross hairs ('4' key) do the indicators show less turning instruction when braking?
3). Do you have Speed Sensitivity set higher than 0? - this will limit turn of wheels when you are moving...

Simon
mungewell

Postby mungewell » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:21 pm

If you look at the code (https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/speed ... n.cpp#L775) steering is not affected by the amount of braking. However there is a difference between mouse/joystick regarding the adjustment according to speed (joystick is '/100' mouse is '/1000'').

Do you have skid marks enabled? I suspect the front wheels are loosing traction, and therefore unable to make the car turn. This would show up as a light skid mark.

Try entering the corner slower and not using the brake at the same time as turning.
Simon
mungewell

Postby mungewell » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:36 pm

mouse has always (at least 24months) been different speed sensitivity, however this patch is a major change to how it is processed:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/speed ... /human.cpp
mungewell

Postby mungewell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Just came across this interesting post which explains braking technique quite nicely:
http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=962024&postcount=5

You can seen how bad I am in my recent video (I'm riding the clutch way too much),
Simon.
mungewell

Postby rajonmestra » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:41 am

Agree! Might be the abs issue...on some point of view, the wheel would do something on it but the speed sensitivity might get involved into the braking process... There are some tuturials i seen on youtube and they would surely help...try watching videos at some sort..
rajonmestra

Return to SD Physics & Internals