[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4519: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4521: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4522: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4523: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3716)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Online Database for Highscores

Online Database for Highscores

For random discussions which aren't directly related to Speed-Dreams

Moderator: kilo

Online Database for Highscores

Postby longtomjr » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:30 am

I was wondering if there can not be a online Database for lap records integrated in Speed Dreams. Maybe this is alreddy suggested somwhere but I couldt fount it. There can be two ways to do this.

Number 1: You race your race and then when you are finished you can save a log file for proof and with it you can save a screenshot for proof. Then you can post your best times on a webpage that will sort it in high to low. on a list. I can ilustrate a webpage to help you see the format I am thinking of. (Got the Idea from Microsoft Train Simulator)

Number 2: There will be a top ten board data wepage that you can also see online and integrated in game.

Let me know what you guys think.

Kind Regards
Longtomjr
longtomjr

Re: Online Database for Highscores

Postby mungewell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:03 am

I've always wondered how good (or bad) I am and it would be fun to include some high score feature, the biggest problem would be 'cheating'... maybe we can have some form of hashing the parameters to ensure that someone has not increase power/grip/etc. Regardless of what we implement, the fact that we're open-source will make it impossible to prevent all cheating.

It would be interesting to hear what others are doing on various tracks, practice sessions would be the 'cleanest' - so reply here.... :) I don't have my 'racing' machine to hand so can't start the ball rolling.
Simon.
mungewell

Postby longtomjr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 am

People will always cheat. I just think it is sick to cheat to get on top of a highscore list... :?

My first suggestion: to prevent cheat we can make a *.sdhs (speed dream highscore file) that is encrypted with a pasword that only the guy(s) that check the legal of the highscore knows. Then they have lists that they can check if the car is not modified in any way. In the encrypted file there will be the car name and and all the specs (or whatever it is called) of the car that is driven. It will also contain all the lap times and the best lap time, the one that will be submited, in the file. Then there will be the track details that you can check. Then when all is in order you can put it online for all to see. This will take about five minuites per score submitted.

We can make a lists of cars that may be used and tracks, and make a top ten list for each car and track.

Let me know what you guys think.

Kind Regards
Longtomjr
longtomjr

Postby mungewell » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 am

So... Brondehach in Spirit300 = 1:47.9... good, moderate or pathetic?

Spun at Paddocks on last lap :-(
Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mungewell

Postby longtomjr » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:19 am

That is good... In my Eyes.. I got 1.46.79. I needed to quit so yeh... It can be that you drove with a ful tank... Mine was only 2/8 full. I drove with Keybord because I only have a gameport joystic...
I dont know where to get the xml file...

Cmon guys... Give it a try
longtomjr

Postby mungewell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:28 pm

mungewell

Postby Nic KERS » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:35 pm

I think I'm going to like it here. :)

Been playing this sort of game since Planet of Doom (Ubisoft POD). Not that SD is anything like POD of course. More recently I played Forza3/4 pretty frequently. Was disgusted with v4 though as they took my favourite track out! It was all downhill from there really. Got rid of the Xbox and built a dual booting fairly good game machine to play Project CARS etc. All good fun and developing nicely over there. Budget was about 3 million Euros last time I looked!

Nothing particularly against MS Windows. I'd just really rather not have anything to do with it and a recent sound card upgrade completely broke my W7 install...

I'll get to the point in a minute lol.

I remembered playing TORCS and it wasn't too bad (long time ago) and then I discovered this little beauty. Speed Dreams. I had a look at some laps on the tube, but I know it's hard to get a good recording. I'd be fine, I thought, if only it was possible to use my one and only wheel. Thanks to the skill and knowledge of a regular here, Simon (mungewell), it now is!

Thanks again Simon.

So; with the advantage of a wheel I'm pretty familiar with, and a new GPU driver which is said to double the OpenGL performance, and a happy feeling it's all working so well - I set about doing ten laps practice at Brondehach in the Spirit300.

I don't know the track and I always use a 'racing line' on other sims, if it's available, but it was the most fun I've had since my W7 BSOD. :) I didn't syphon any petrol out, but I managed 1 reasonable lap at sorry :twisted:

Nice car. Could be quicker with some gearbox tuning I think. 2 and 3 could be closer. A faster change would be good too.

I really think Speed Dreams is a little gem of a driving sim. My thanks go to everyone involved in putting it all together...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nic KERS

Postby longtomjr » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks for your reply...
That is very well done.... A wheel or joystic is a great advantage i think.... You dont turn full all the time, Less traction loss and screeching tyres. I drive in Automatic (Which may also be a disadvantage) beacause it is realy not nice to drive a Manual on the keabord... OK done with the dumb exuses :mrgreen: :roll: ...

I will hit the track again some time I think, School have started for this poor liltle soul here :mrgreen: . I plan to get me a wheel or joystick for flightgear in three mabe four years time, then we will see... lol

Kind regards
Longtomjr
longtomjr

Postby Nic KERS » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Oh you poor chap. I didn't like school at all, but it was quite a while ago.

Meant to say in my last post - it's a great idea and I'm sure it'll be up and running pretty soon, if there's enough interest. It's certainly something I'd use, but in the meantime we could just post results to this thread.

A lot of players use game pad analogue steering controls like switches. Multiple flicks instead of trying to hold an angle. Doesn't seem to slow them down much. Could always tell if someone was doing that in Forza. You'd see (the ghost of) their car sort of juddering around bends. :) Keyboard steering might be better than that. I'll give it a try sometime.
Nic KERS

Postby Nic KERS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 pm

I've had so much fun around Allondaz in the FAI Dot 08 RS2 - it shouldn't be allowed!

Took a lot of laps to get a clean and reasonably fast one: 2:39.188

Loving every minute of this beautiful sim. :cry: :D
Nic KERS

Next

Return to Off-topic