[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - Car XML file check

Car XML file check

Discuss or share your car-related work here

Moderator: kilo

Car XML file check

Postby Leopjing » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:53 pm

Is there already a tool or function to check the correctness of an car XML file?
Like the pointed .ac files are avaible, correct values, etc.?
Leopjing

Re: Car XML file check

Postby chad3006 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:42 am

I'm not aware of one, but you can run SD from a terminal (command line or console) and examine the readout after a car is loaded into a race or practice and see some info on warnings or errors related to the XML file.
chad3006

Postby Leopjing » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Leopjing

Postby chad3006 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:58 pm

If I understand your question properly, looks like those attributes define the "type" of differential the car is using.
For example:

From the factory, most cars come with a “Free” type differential. This means that power is only delivered to one of the two wheels attached to the differential. When a car is cornering the wheels on the outside have to spin at a faster speed than the wheels on the inside of the curve. “Free” type differentials allow this to happen easily, in fact if you've ever jacked up a car with the engine is running and in gear (which I don't recommend because it is not very safe) only one of the wheels will spin, the other is “free.” So that's what “free” means in differentials.

A “limited slip” differential allows both wheels to have power delivered to them, but in a limited way. It allows for a certain amount of slip, so the wheels can spin independently when needed. This is not usually available from the factory in normal passenger cars, but is usually available only on sports car models, or trucks.

A “spool,” or “locked” differential means that both wheels attached to the differential spin together and are “locked” together. No slippage can occur. This would usually only be something used on a dedicated race car. It's very popular with drag racing cars that travel in a straight line where no slippage is needed. Most racing tires are softer than standard highway tires, so the slippage is transferred to the tire itself in these cases. The tire “scuffs” in cornering.

In some modern cars there is a thing called "traction control." This allows for power to be delivered to whichever wheel needs it, allowing for traction to be optimized at all times. You'll see it a lot on all wheel drive cars.
chad3006

Postby Leopjing » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 am

Oooooh damn, sry :D
I have to mention that this is a part from the category xml file, Sorry, my fault. However your description helps a lot.
But why are those types are all writen there? Wouldnt it enough just to write the value (in category and car defintion files)? Or are those in values all possible differentials the car can use?
Leopjing

Postby chad3006 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Oh, I think I see what you're saying. Well, I "think" the reason is to limit a particular category to certain choices. Like when a race series has a limit on an engines displacement size and so forth. So this XML file can limit the choices to what is "legal" to a particular category. I guess it would keep a car from cheating in a category, kind of like the inspection process race officials do before a "real" race. (Devs, correct me if I'm wrong on that)

But I noticed when I created the Trans Am categories a couple of years ago, it didn't "seem" to work entirely properly, maybe I didn't do something right in the XML file I created, I don't know.
chad3006

Return to SD Cars